This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Henri

Post Thanks / Like

Hurricane Henri

Everyone in the Northeast ready? Henri is barreling down on us tomorrow. I think the biggest impact here in extreme SW Connecticut is going to be coastal flooding, rain and power outages. I was at the farmers' market and grocery store early this morning (those visits were already planned since I hadn't been since getting back from Aruba-cupboard was pretty bare!). Not the mob scene I was anticipating. This afternoon I helped out at our local Red Cross chapter gathering emergency supplies and delivering them to various sites around town in case they are needed. Took some groceries, batteries and flashlights to an elderly friend. I wanted her to come and stay with me for the rest of the weekend (her family is not local) but she doesn't want to leave her home and pets. She lives very close to the water on Long Island Sound so I 'm concerned but I spoke with her neighbors across the street and they promised to check on her periodically. Stubborn old bird...but I love her!

I have a good friend flying home from Hawaii, arriving at JFK at 7am tomorrow. I think she'll be home before the absolute worst of it but I'm a bit worried, especially since her car service is my friend Danny (he carts all of us back and forth to all the area airports!). I don't want either one of them on the road tomorrow! Maybe Henri will decide to head out to sea but it's not looking like that will happen...

How are others here preparing for Henri's arrival? Don't underestimate it! Better to be ready than caught off guard!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lisa. Hoping for the best here in NJ. That’s so nice of you to take care of others! Was watching the concert in Central Park and they canceled it in the middle of Barry Maniow singing. Major rain & lightening began sadly. They told everyone to go home but they may resume the concert.
    Colette
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! I didn't realize they'd stopped it (TV is in a different room). Right now they're talking about starting it again around 10pm if the rain stops. But everyone in the audience went home! Have to honest that I thought this "celebration" was premature and should have been postponed in light of the numbers.

We have to take care of each other...that's the only way we'll get through all of this, right?
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaGrn View Post
    Wow! I didn't realize they'd stopped it (TV is in a different room). Right now they're talking about starting it again around 10pm if the rain stops. But everyone in the audience went home! Have to honest that I thought this "celebration" was premature and should have been postponed in light of the numbers.

We have to take care of each other...that's the only way we'll get through all of this, right?
    Right! Sad about the concert ending. Wanted to see Bruce Springsteen & Jeniffer Hudson! But NY is doing great. They are 75% vaccinated. Other states should figure out what NY did. It’s a soft spot. I am from NY but live in NJ. Through the darkest days of the pandemic I would go into NY for a doctors appointment and EVERYONE wore masks on the streets of NYC.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good Luck to all of you in Henri's path.
    Been there many times and it is tough...........the toughest part is the anxiety pre storm.
    Since living here in FLA, we have had 1 bad one in our area, IRMA and a few smaller.

Remember taping windows does no-good.
    Plywood or hurricane shutters is the best bet.

It is the water that you need to be worried about.

Wishing you all well.

Please check in periodically and tell us how you are doing.

Godspeed.
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? SIDTM
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Andrea!
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m not sure what to expect at this point. Yesterday, the Governor was telling everyone to stay in on Sunday. People were being asked to delay any planned trips to the Cape. Now it seems like it is going to track more west and it won’t be a direct hit. I think flooding is going to a big issue for our area. People have been getting their boats out of the water. We’ve made sure all our devices are charged. I worry about trees coming down, especially after losing one of our dogwoods in a storm a few weeks ago.

So I hope everyone is prepared and please stay safe!

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    We are in MA... and we are as ready as ready can be. We are not near the coast line, further in land but we are supposed to get 3-6 inches of rain. Just got 3.5 inches of rain on Thursday... Flooding was crazy... Seems to be worse tomorrow but hopefully since it is a Sunday folks will stay home.
    Hope those headed out to Aruba or anywhere else from the NE get there ok... same with those headed home... Although if I was in Aruba, I would find a place and add 2 more days!!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We are further in land than Boston (about 20-25 min depends on traffic) from Boston.... we are expected to get it good... its supposed to come through CT, up the MA Pike -- through Western, Central and Middlesex MA... Fingers crossed... Hate to say it, but its better than a blizzard..
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    In South Jersey we are just getting rain, but the shore is having very rough surf and rip tides. Our power went out earlier tonight, but it was due to car accident taking out a pole and not the storm. It was the first time our generator turned on for a power outage, so it is good to actually see it working. I hope everyone in the path of Henri stays safe.

0 0