This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I need help. Are there any English teachers here on the forum?

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Post Thanks / Like

I need help. Are there any English teachers here on the forum?

Good evening,

While I try to write reasonably well here, I have made many spelling mistakes and grammatical goofs so I still need some help.

Here is what I am asking.

How do we properly describe a situation which happened in the past, but some aspects of it (aspects that cannot be changed) are still in the present? What tense do we use?

Example: You are giving a statement to police about an incident you were a witness to. You use the past tense to describe things like clothing, weather, etc (He was wearing blue jeans and a black jacket. Or, it was cloudy and raining.) But what about something like race? I think you would use the present tense. You can't say "he was white", can you? Presumably he still is.

Any English teachers able to help with this?

Glenn
    0 0

Druif Beach, Divi Divi AI, Red Sail Sports, Black Pearl
    Post Thanks / Like
    This detail is appreciated and respected. I would say that you use "was" as you are describing an incident or person. However, should you use "is" white, while sounding awkward, the person you are communicating with, will understand - - and that is successful communication. With respect to Aruba, my mind is purposefully not challenged. It is left as an open forum to daydream and drift. It's "downtime" in every sense of the word.

Bon Bini!
    Last edited by jabooty; 02-22-2020 at 11:16 AM.
    0 0