This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My mom... is being evicted??

Post Thanks / Like

Angry My mom... is being evicted??

I returned from a trip to Maine last week and received a call from my 90 year old mother's assisted living facility that they were no longer able to care for her and that she had to move out... by the first of May. After I recovered from the initial shock, I asked why and they told me it was becoming difficult to move my mom (all 120 pounds of her) and she was becoming agitated at the people working there. She mysteriously broke her hip at Christmas and it's healing on its own. It probably hurts a bit when she is moved and she doesn't like it. I informed them we would be out of the country until the middle of May and that June 1st would be the earliest we could work on something. So this week we toured a facility that is much closer to our home and is asking $7,500 a month. That's almost $3,000 less per month than where she is now. I put down a deposit and we wait. What really upset me was having to ask the new place if my mom could stay there until she died. I was told at the current place she could, but they changed their tune when they actually had to "assist" my mom. Sorry, just needed to vent a bit.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    That stinks....However it’s really time for a change. They apparently don’t need the money.
    AIDTM THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?

0 0

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Isn't your mom receiving hospice? This is horrible for her and all of you. I'm so sorry.

0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that Walt's mom has been receiving Hospice care.
    I would have guessed that the regular assistance from the assisted living and the Hospice care, there would be no issue with her care.

I hope that the new place is more sensitive to her needs and more helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
    Wow! Isn't your mom receiving hospice? This is horrible for her and all of you. I'm so sorry.
    AIDTM THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Walt, that is just awful news. Where is their compassion? I am so sorry.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh man this makes me both sad and angry!

So sorry Walt but I do hope the new facility is better for her.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone. Mom is on hospice and that was another concern, could the hospice people that have been taking care of her do so at the new facility? I was on the phone this morning with them and they said they were still able to see mom which confirmed what we were told by the new facility. Apparently hospice care is awarded to different companies by specific facilities. We got lucky I guess.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so sorry you are going through this with your mom. How do you think she will handle the change?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so sorry to hear this.
    Have you looked into any private home that can meet mom's needs.
    Wish I was closer..
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Sadly we had the same issue with my mother. If they have people "waiting" in the wings so to speak...they force people out. They do this for a number of reasons. One, for the ease of care. And 2, if someone dies on their "watch" in goes on their record so to speak. I was not pleased at all about the whole process with my mom. Started out great when we had tons of money to spend...once mom got harder to handle and they new the money would run out...they were no longer able to "care" for her. Sorry Walt that sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    I returned from a trip to Maine last week and received a call from my 90 year old mother's assisted living facility that they were no longer able to care for her and that she had to move out... by the first of May. After I recovered from the initial shock, I asked why and they told me it was becoming difficult to move my mom (all 120 pounds of her) and she was becoming agitated at the people working there. She mysteriously broke her hip at Christmas and it's healing on its own. It probably hurts a bit when she is moved and she doesn't like it. I informed them we would be out of the country until the middle of May and that June 1st would be the earliest we could work on something. So this week we toured a facility that is much closer to our home and is asking $7,500 a month. That's almost $3,000 less per month than where she is now. I put down a deposit and we wait. What really upset me was having to ask the new place if my mom could stay there until she died. I was told at the current place she could, but they changed their tune when they actually had to "assist" my mom. Sorry, just needed to vent a bit.
    Trip 32 begins on June 5.

0 0