This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: New Years Rituals?

Post Thanks / Like

New Years Rituals?

So does anyone have a New Years ritual? Superstitious or not? I know some who eat the same food as they believe it’s lucky and someone else who puts all their change in a jar outside. They believe it will bring good fortune in the New Year. For me I plan to burn my worries in a worry hut. I have two. They are small metal huts, folk artsy style. You write your worry on a slip of paper and burn it. The smoke comes out the cutout windows and roof of the huts and swirls around. It’s actually quite soothing! What’s your ritual?

0 4

Post Thanks / Like
    We are normally home-I can count on one hand the number of times we were not home in 31 years of marriage. Normally, Stu falls asleep on the sofa and I wake him for the ball drop. Sometimes we will go out to dinner. Once or twice we had friends over. This year we are on the ship and will be in the Pacific when 2022 begins. They have several things planned in different areas of the ship and they are showing the ball drop in NY on TV in the staterooms.

When the kids were little, they would get pots and large spoons and bang them in the house and out on the deck. Sweet memories.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I bet the kids loved that! So fun!!

0 0

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Peg,

Do your neighbours know you do this? They're not going to call the fire department on you, will they?

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    So does anyone have a New Years ritual? Superstitious or not? I know some who eat the same food as they believe it’s lucky and someone else who puts all their change in a jar outside. They believe it will bring good fortune in the New Year. For me I plan to burn my worries in a worry hut. I have two. They are small metal huts, folk artsy style. You write your worry on a slip of paper and burn it. The smoke comes out the cutout windows and roof of the huts and swirls around. It’s actually quite soothing! What’s your ritual?
    0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the worry hut idea!!

we usually go to 4 pm or 5 pm mass and then have Chinese food.
    used to be with our close friends in MA, but now here in FL it has changed a bit.
    we will sit out on the patio and have some snacks and call it a night way b4 midnight!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post

THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? SIDTM
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Peg,

Do your neighbours know you do this? They're not going to call the fire department on you, will they?

Glenn
    Don’t think the neighbors have seen me. The huts are very small and I light them on the porch with the windows open. Here’s a photo of them on the table. Sorry if it comes in upsides down!

Should also mention before I retired I worked for NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) so guess they have to trust me!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Years Rituals?-1421368a-3780-41f9-8ce1-3a1b69ba6c3f-jpg  
    Last edited by Pegmeister; 12-31-2021 at 02:47 PM.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Tried a couple of times, but it keeps coming in upside down!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Years Rituals?-6cb3087a-f819-4fff-b2cb-40e9d00d9550-jpg  

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Chinese food for New Years is big here in the Boston area.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    I like the worry hut idea!!

we usually go to 4 pm or 5 pm mass and then have Chinese food.
    used to be with our close friends in MA, but now here in FL it has changed a bit.
    we will sit out on the patio and have some snacks and call it a night way b4 midnight!
    Last edited by Pegmeister; 12-31-2021 at 02:47 PM.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Our tradition is to eat some type of pork, with greens for prosperity, and black-eyed peas for good luck; this has been the tradition in my family for years.
    The best trip is the next trip. Anxiously waiting to book something.
    0 3