This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Other Countries Healthcare Billing Policies

Post Thanks / Like

Other Countries Healthcare Billing Policies

Since this has been a much discussed topic of late, with regards to Aruba, I'm just wondering what other world travelers have experienced, when healthcare has been required in a foreign country that you have visited. Have the facilities been setup to bill your personal insurance of residency or your optional trip insurance? We only have experience with Aruba or on a cruise ship, many years ago.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    In Bonaire a few years ago I stepped on a sea urchin and got a horrible reaction along with the pain.
    We were there just for 10 hrs on a cruise.
    We went to the ER, planted my credit card down for payment and was seen and treated.
    The cost was about $100 +/-
    They called a cab and sent me back to the ship and added that to my bill too.

I was reimbursed in full by my trip insurance.

Many cruises ago, both Paul and I stepped on glass in the lazy river at Atlantis in Bahamas.
    Went to an infirmary on site and was tended to and charged over $200. (again, pay up front)

Again, reimbursed from our travel Ins.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    2 0

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Post Thanks / Like
    a few years ago I asked if I was covered. they said yes. they told me to pay the bill. the treatment needed to be in english and payment in us dollars and when i got home, submit it to them and they will reimburse me which they did. they never said if they don't take your medical, then we will reimburse you. i was under the impression the insurance company didn't think they would take it since they never even suggested I try.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    could you be specific?
    who is THEY?

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    a few years ago I asked if I was covered. they said yes. they told me to pay the bill. the treatment needed to be in english and payment in us dollars and when i got home, submit it to them and they will reimburse me which they did. they never said if they don't take your medical, then we will reimburse you. i was under the impression the insurance company didn't think they would take it since they never even suggested I try.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    While on a cruise I befriended a nun and her cousin; she slipped on their excursion; and broke her arm; it was clean break meaning it just had to put in a splint and healed;
    They sent her to hospital via ambulance... the ambulance wanted "cash up front" actually stopped at a bank for her cousin to get it
    After a few hours in the hospital and yes they splint it. did all the xrays over and when she brought the copies with her.
    the hospital wanted the money up front.
    Yes they had "travel insurance" her cousin had to use his credit cards (it took a few months to get reinbursed)
    On top of that they had to find a place to stay till they can arrange for flight home.
    All of this end up costing thousands of dollars.
    2 0

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    could you be specific?
    who is THEY?
    Sorry, my regular medical insurance. they didn't ask what country i was going to, just get the bills and payment in english. so i am assuming they don't think any international country would bill them, that you would be responsible first and then get reimbursed.

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend of mine went to Mexico and someone in his party got sick and went to the ER. They had to pay upfront and get reimbursed from their insurance.

A client of my husband fell off a bike in Italy and broke a bone(I think it was her arm). They had to pay upfront for the xrays, dr., cast and meds.