This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Other Vacation Ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    I decided to stay local. Either I will drive to Upstate NY near Oneonta, do some fishing, boating or visit an upstate winery. Another option I'm looking at is Montauk NY in Long Island. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive from my house only 105 miles and the hotel has a shuttle that takes you to the docks, beaches and to town for dinner. I may go for 3 nights. Thx
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Both sound wonderful! An especially beautiful time of year to go Upstate.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Off too Montauk Long Island East End this afternoon for 3 nights. A lot of amenities at the hotel are closed like in a lot of places due to covid so Rest is closed, indoor pool, spa is closed, GYM closed etc. I'm just bringing my Kindle which I have loaded with movies and will just relax. The room does have WIFI and cable but bringing my Kindle just in case. They have a free shuttle that takes you to town for dinning, the state parks, Montauk Light House. Should be a relaxing 3 nights and I need it. I was getting kind of grumpy at work and tired dealing with 2 home attendants, nurse, this morning someone came to do blood work for Ms Daisy etc. My brother will stay with Ms Daisy and give me a break.
    0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    enjoy!!

Quote Originally Posted by ArubaAce View Post
    Off too Montauk Long Island East End this afternoon for 3 nights. A lot of amenities at the hotel are closed like in a lot of places due to covid so Rest is closed, indoor pool, spa is closed, GYM closed etc. I'm just bringing my Kindle which I have loaded with movies and will just relax. The room does have WIFI and cable but bringing my Kindle just in case. They have a free shuttle that takes you to town for dinning, the state parks, Montauk Light House. Should be a relaxing 3 nights and I need it. I was getting kind of grumpy at work and tired dealing with 2 home attendants, nurse, this morning someone came to do blood work for Ms Daisy etc. My brother will stay with Ms Daisy and give me a break.
    November 26 - December 10 Photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/K6JFHPUx18oB69Nh7
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    That's great Ace! Let us know how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a fun relaxing time. Sometimes all we need is a change of scenery.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ArubaAce View Post
    Enjoy. There's a great Italian restaurant down by the fishing docks and a huge seafood place in the shopping square.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Enjoy, Ace! It is well deserved! Weather is supposed to be great as well. Have Kindle, Will Travel is my motto!!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Had a great 3 night stay in Montauk. The drive was not bad 2 1/2 hours. Really it should take 2 hours only 105 miles from my house but you have to pass some small towns in the hamptons and so you get some bumper to bumper traffic.

The resort was an old castle Montauk Manor with Condo Apt with full kitchens. I had a 1 bedroom loft apt so I had to walk up to bedroom or bathroom with my bad hips but I actually did ok. I guess the exercise stair climbing did me good. They had told me the pool was closed when i called. They have an indoor and outdoor pool. When I checked in, they suggested I relax in the pool. I was like WAT I WAS TOLD IT WAS CLOSED! I did not pack a bathing suit. Next day I went into town and was able to get a bathing suit so i enjoyed 2 days of outdoor pool, temp 72 to 79 but pool water was 84 so it was nice but when you got out, cold...Not many people in the pool only about 3 couples.

Ate dinner at the Dock Gosman 2 nights in a row. Great dinner with Clams, Oysters, stuffed lobster tail, Steak, Clam Chowder, Lobster Roll, Tiramisu with a lot of whipped cream, martini, bottle of red wine. Not in one day but the 2 nights LOL. The first dinner night I had a large tiramisu for dessert. So I'm walking along the dock and found this place that sold ice cream. The flavors were interesting so i could not resist. I had a peanut butter s'mores which was delicious. The next night I skipped dessert and headed back to ice cream place and had 2 scoops of Coffee Crunch.

I usually don't eat dessert at home except for some small sugar free jello cups but on this trip I did eat a lot of sweets. I went to town and found this bakery that made different flavor coffee cakes. So I got 2 slices of blueberry and a raspberry coffee cake they were large square slices which I enjoyed with coffee on my patio. I also got some breakfast croissant breakfast sandwich.

The kool thing about this resort is that they had a free shuttle van service to take you anywhere within town the beach, light house, restaurants etc so I used it and left my car sitting in parking lot. I was able to go out for dinner have drinks worry free knowing a van would bring me back to resort.

I have some nice photos but I don't remember how to post them. Maybe I will figure it out later.
    Last edited by ArubaAce; 09-26-2020 at 10:47 AM.
    0 1