This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parliament has been dissolved

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like

Parliament has been dissolved

Elections will be held at a later date.

I have no real details except this that a friend was able to briefly send this message which I screen shot.

Parliament has been dissolved-screen-shot-2021-03-30-4-20-52-pm-jpgParliament has been dissolved-screen-shot-2021-03-30-4-20-36-pm-jpg

https://www.facebook.com/BatiBlekiBu...36644658461220
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 03-30-2021 at 04:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    This is unreal! How can this happen and no one here knows about it (other than reading it in this forum).
    We saw a police presence in the lobby of the Surf Club when we got back here tonight. That is very strange in and of itself.
    I will make some inquiries of locals tomorrow to see if I can find out any more info.
    Brian

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    This is beyond crazy! If it was not 11pm I would consider reaching out to my friends on the island to see what's up? That said....I don't like to ask when things appear like it could be a CRAP show!
    Trip 32 begins on July 15.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interim Government.
    Elections in June (?maybe?)

Post Thanks / Like
    For an entire Branch to step down....its beyond anything Ive ever seen in politics. Should be interesting.
    Trip 32 begins on July 15.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    For an entire Branch to step down....its beyond anything Ive ever seen in politics. Should be interesting.
    Interesting? Easy for you to say, you’re not here NOW to deal with whatever fallout may occur.
    I don’t think much will happen or be noticeable, but I’m a bit concerned, for sure. Will keep posted if I learn any more info tomw.
    Brian

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Absolutely normal for coalition governments to step down in our democracy. In Europe it happens all the time. Just a few months ago same happened in the Netherlands.

If the majority party in a coalition(in this case MEP), loses trust in its minority partner(POR), it's only natural in a parliamentary system to make the entire government step down and dissolve parliament. Our constitution gives our minister-president that power. It's also really great, because it puts the power back into the voters hand. In this case, a seizure of accounts tied to a coalition partner due to suspicious activity and an announcement of the Justice department of an investigation, is more than enough reason to say the coalition can't go forward. I expect nothing less as a voter.

Besides that, everything keeps functioning as usual. The same government and parliament remains in place and can push laws through that are already on the table(for example new covid election laws). For a tourist or average citizen, there isn't anything else you'd notice besides the initial news
    Last edited by Arawak; 03-31-2021 at 02:02 AM.
    5 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the perspective. That makes sense.
    Brian

0 0

Post Thanks / Like

0 0