This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stressed? Anxious? Frightened?

Post Thanks / Like
    Many things have changed since Andrea started this thread (only a week ago; seems like an eternity). How are you all feeling? My anxiety has increased ten fold as I watch the numbers rise with no apparent end in sight. What are you doing to try to alleviate those feelings?

I've been baking all day. Apartment smells wonderful and it was peaceful spending time doing that. Turned off the TV and turned on some classical music. I will take most of the baked goods (but not that sour cream coffee cake, Andrea! that's all for me! wish you were closer so I could bring you some!) to the office on Monday for my boss to take home to his three teenagers. I love baking for them. Tomorrow I plan on making some banana nut bread, one for the freezer and one for them.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some of our stress relievers here are axe throwing, baton fire twirling, yard Jarts (the real ones), Paul is teaching me archery but I have to have him hold the target for steadiness..... that kind of stuff
    But seriously we are getting a bit on each other's nerves.
    A few times a day we hop in the golf cart and drive around...but our golf cart batteries are bad and we are not getting far before another charge is necessary.
    New batteries will come in May...not in April's budget.
    Depending on the day we either walk the neighborhood or use our treadmill.
    The treadmill is best because EVERYONE seems to be out walking or on the golf course.......NOT keeping their distance.
    Everyone, including Paul and I went to stop and chat.
    So the treadmill at home is the best.
    When we go to the store, we split up, each take part of the list and are in and out real fast.

My toes need attention. My eyebrows are in much need of attention. My fingers will need attention in about 10 days..........but all of that stuff is far from my concern.

I am not a baker, but I am a cook. (of which I hate...but I can cook)
    Chili was made the other day. Beef barley soup was made.

Housecleaning should be done, maybe next week will do some real cleaning.

Stay well (physically and mentally ) all!
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t really minding staying in. Tom is apt to feel more anxious to get out. So far I have managed not to have to go to the grocery store or any other store. I do an hour or so on the treadmill each morning. Afternoons I take the dog out in the yard and shoot tennis balls from a K9 canon. She absolutely loves it. I keep busy with stuff around the house. I would do way more baking but I haven’t been able to get flour so I’ve been trying to be more creative with meals. I enjoy cooking and find it relaxing. That is until someone expects me to do it and then all bets are off!

I also spend a lot of time on the forum and texting with friends. Tom usually takes a nap in the afternoon for a few hours. The kindle is loaded up with books so I’ve been reading more in the evening. Today I got all the papers out to do the taxes tomorrow. It remains to be seen if I’ll actually do them.

Over the next few days I’ll be cancelling all the Aruba stuff. I cancelled the reservation to board the dog as well as the reservation for the airport hotel. Telling myself that it’s okay we’ll save a few dollars and have November to look forward to.

For many, I know, it’s hard to stay in. For me I feel like it’s all about finding a distraction so that we don’t think about it. I now avoid listening to the news as much as possible. The next few weeks are bound to be a challenge. I hope everyone stays healthy and safe!!

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Peg, it's okay. I'm glad you cancelled May. I wish I thought we would be out of this mess by then but don't really think that will be the case for the US, Aruba or the world.
    And, yes, you have November to look forward to! I'm hoping I won't be in the same quandary in August about my September trip. All of you need me to go in September because that means you'll all be able to go in October, November and beyond!! It's my duty to go and forge the path back to the Happy Island for all of us! LOL!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, axe throwing I've found is an excellent stress reliever. Alas, I can no longer do that because my aim wasn't very good and my neighbor wasn't too happy. He had too many cats anyway...just kidding!
    Baton fire twirling sounds interesting. we do have a lot of trees though...hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Some of our stress relievers here are axe throwing, baton fire twirling, yard Jarts (the real ones), Paul is teaching me archery but I have to have him hold the target for steadiness..... that kind of stuff
    But seriously we are getting a bit on each other's nerves.
    A few times a day we hop in the golf cart and drive around...but our golf cart batteries are bad and we are not getting far before another charge is necessary.
    New batteries will come in May...not in April's budget.
    Depending on the day we either walk the neighborhood or use our treadmill.
    The treadmill is best because EVERYONE seems to be out walking or on the golf course.......NOT keeping their distance.
    Everyone, including Paul and I went to stop and chat.
    So the treadmill at home is the best.
    When we go to the store, we split up, each take part of the list and are in and out real fast.

My toes need attention. My eyebrows are in much need of attention. My fingers will need attention in about 10 days..........but all of that stuff is far from my concern.

I am not a baker, but I am a cook. (of which I hate...but I can cook)
    Chili was made the other day. Beef barley soup was made.

Housecleaning should be done, maybe next week will do some real cleaning.

Stay well (physically and mentally ) all!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We've been home a week. I've been out for groceries and meds. I picked up pizza on Sunday and Greek tonight. I've walked around the neighborhood on the days it wasn't raining-I go shopping on the rainy days because it keeps people out of the stores, or so I hope. I planned on painting the laundry room and discovered that all our painting supplies are at my husband's office because a friend has been painting it for us. I am almost done a lap afghan for one of my baskets(for a charity auction). I have worked on a few of my other projects and spent way too much time on the computer. I have a schedule of cleaning, which starts tomorrow. Stu is working from home and has only ventured to his office twice to get things he needs. I am very stressed looking at the climbing numbers. It is incredibly scary even though there are 11 cases in our county, David's job as an EMT transport takes him into the middle of the state where the counts are higher. I am constantly clean the areas of the house we share.

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s funny, I literally just got an email from JetBlue asking me to acknowledge changes to our flight. Same day, different time. I keep waiting for them to cancel it!! I’m not feeling too bad about missing Aruba in May as we were there over Thanksgiving into early December. Then in February we spent a week in Vegas so we can wait until November I guess.

I would hope by your trip in September we would be close to normal!

Quote Originally Posted by LisaGrn View Post
    Peg, it's okay. I'm glad you cancelled May. I wish I thought we would be out of this mess by then but don't really think that will be the case for the US, Aruba or the world.
    And, yes, you have November to look forward to! I'm hoping I won't be in the same quandary in August about my September trip. All of you need me to go in September because that means you'll all be able to go in October, November and beyond!! It's my duty to go and forge the path back to the Happy Island for all of us! LOL!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We are trying our best to keep things normal in our house with a 10 year old....both of us working from home etc....All that said tts starting to get really depressing here in MA. Nothing to do and no place to go....everything is closed, all parks etc...And to top it off we have over 1k new cases today I am not sure what to think. Its really overwhelming. I was in the store yesterday and asked when the last time they had any paper products and they said 3 weeks ago and have NO idea when they will receive any more. The shoppers in masks....this is like starting to become a real life horror movie IMO with no end in sight.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am sorry to read that Peg had to cancel......but let JB do the flight cancelling!!
    We too have closed the book on Aruba for from now til late Nov.

As Jay says it is very depressing. I probably should not complain.......scratch that, I should NOT complain.
    We are healthy (thank God) live in a part of the country where we can be outside every day and have a roof over our heads.
    I think of loved ones who spent their last years or months in a bed unable to do anything and then I am ashamed that I am complaining.
    I will try to do better.

Boy Lisa I certainly hope that Aruba is on track before September.

Tonight our golf cart ride had us stopped on one of the cul de sacs.
    There were 5 golf carts there and all we were doing was sharing gossip about our community.
    There might have been some complaining too.

All of our Canadian snowbirds have gone.
    All of the rental folks have gone.
    Pretty soon about another 100 residents will close up their houses and head back North.
    The majority of our residents hail from Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, NY and New England.
    Our furthest resident is from the Yukon Territory.
    By the 1st of June we go from 660 homes occupied to about 350 occupied. Ahhhhhhhhh
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Andrea, with everyone leaving it will be easier to adhere to the social distancing. You know we live just off Wollaston Blvd so we see all the neighbors walking down to the beach at different times during the day. Everyone is trying to get some fresh air an exercise. I’m sure the people are not staying 6 feet apart while out walking so it is concerning. Some have asked that the Blvd be closed to vehicles which IMHO would be a nightmare.

0 0