This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Airlines

Post Thanks / Like

American Airlines

Don't believe the "no change fees" line.

We had round trip tickets for 12/12/20-12/19/20.

We had a one way to Aruba on 1/4/21

We had a one way(return) to Philadelphia on 3/4/21

We decided to change it and go continuously 12/12/20-3/4/21.

I planned to cancel the round trip 12/12/20-12/19/20 and get the travel voucher for future travel. Then move 1/4/21 to 12/12/20 and keep the return the same.

It did not work out that way.

The 'no change fee' is only on flights to the end of 2020, not 2021 or at least not yet. They wanted to charge us $200 a person to make the change of 1/4/21 to 12/12/20.

I finally spoke with a supervisor who was somewhat helpful. She kept the 12/12/20 as it was and cancelled the return on 12/19/20 and we were credited with a voucher for future travel. Our return on 3/4/21 stays the same.

We still have a flight booked on 1/4/21. She felt that they were going to extend the 'no change fee' to 2021 so we have to wait to cancel it and get a voucher for future travel.

We will have one year to book future travel. We don't have to take the trip within the year, just book it.

An that is how I wasted over an hour of my day that I will never get back.

I did cancel the hotel we had booked at the airport in Jan. Now I am waiting to see if they cancel the Army/Navy game. It is the same day we fly out and hotel prices are about double. I booked it with points, but if the game is canceled or fans are banned, I might be able to get a good deal on the room.
    Last edited by robin; 09-01-2020 at 02:56 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I read of the no change fee yesterday it was mentioned it was for domestic travel only.

​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    There was no change fee for December travel to Aruba, just January.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Got this now:
    As an American Airlines AAdvantage® member, you are among our most loyal customers and I want you to know how much we value your choice to fly with us. We're committed to making travel as easy and flexible as possible, so we've made changes to improve your travel experience.

No more change fees
    Effective immediately, we're eliminating all change fees for tickets purchased in Premium Cabin and most Main Cabin fares for travel within the U.S. and between the U.S. and:
    • Canada
    • Mexico
    • Caribbean
    • Puerto Rico
    • U.S. Virgin Islands

This includes AAdvantage® award tickets.

We're also waiving change fees for all tickets purchased by December 31, 2020, regardless of fare type or itinerary.

I will call them again tomorrow. ugh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Got this now:
    As an American Airlines AAdvantage® member, you are among our most loyal customers and I want you to know how much we value your choice to fly with us. We're committed to making travel as easy and flexible as possible, so we've made changes to improve your travel experience.

No more change fees
    Effective immediately, we're eliminating all change fees for tickets purchased in Premium Cabin and most Main Cabin fares for travel within the U.S. and between the U.S. and:
    • Canada
    • Mexico
    • Caribbean
    • Puerto Rico
    • U.S. Virgin Islands

This includes AAdvantage® award tickets.

We're also waiving change fees for all tickets purchased by December 31, 2020, regardless of fare type or itinerary.

I will call them again tomorrow. ugh.
    Yep, got the same email.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to cancel the Jan. flight this morning with no issues. I will need to keep the confirmation code to rebook in the future. The part of the flight that was cancelled yesterday will be in the form of an emailed voucher, so they are giving me credit in two different ways. They are so confusing, but since Philadelphia is a hub for American and they have the bulk of the gates, we don't have much choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    So everything worked out fine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    So everything worked out fine?
    Yes, but I have a feeling it is not going to be easy to use our credits. One part is an evoucher and the other has to booked using the original confirmation code. If I had waited until today to make the changes, it would have been so much easier.

Senior Member B Likes To Travel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    They should be able to be combined...I would think.

When I cancelled a bunch of flights on a different airline (under the prior "covid waivers" that waived fees) I ended up with several travel certificates, which had more flexibility than a flight credit. I have them all flagged in my email so I can find them easily. I've already used two to book my Aruba flights by combining them.

But, it's still kind of a pain. Glad your flights are sorted out now.

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    Yes, but I have a feeling it is not going to be easy to use our credits. One part is an evoucher and the other has to booked using the original confirmation code. If I had waited until today to make the changes, it would have been so much easier.

0 0