This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: American Airlines flight changes

Post Thanks / Like
    We have sat on the plane in Philly waiting for passengers from connecting flights, so they do wait. I also know that they will get the bags for the connecting flight off before the bags that are for people who are not connecting.

Once when we flew to another island, we went the day before to avoid a very early flight, and checked into a hotel with an airport shuttle and free breakfast in Charlotte. We met up with friends, went out to dinner and the next morning went back to the airport. It was much better than the 6 am flight with a long layover.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the ideas and info about holding the plane. We have had 1 hour connections in Miami where we walked up just in time for boarding so 40 minutes is outside of my comfort zone. It would be different if there were other flights available later in the day, but everything is so limited right now. I don't want to lose a day or more because of a missed connection.
    We have also made a tight connection that our luggage missed so always plan for that too.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    40 min in Miami is too tight imo.
    if your flight flight is even a few minutes late, and it could be........that 40 min could be even less.
    I would opt for an evening flight and stay over in Mia.
    November 26 - December 10 Photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/K6JFHPUx18oB69Nh7
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Thanks for the ideas and info about holding the plane. We have had 1 hour connections in Miami where we walked up just in time for boarding so 40 minutes is outside of my comfort zone. It would be different if there were other flights available later in the day, but everything is so limited right now. I don't want to lose a day or more because of a missed connection.
    We have also made a tight connection that our luggage missed so always plan for that too.
    Have you considered a flight through Charlotte instead? We have a 2 1/2 layover there on the way down.

Senior Member B Likes To Travel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Andrea and Walt's suggestions. Overnight or flying through Charlotte.

I wouldn't want such a tight layover and wouldn't rely on them to hold the flight...checked bags too.

If you are flying in the front with carry ons only and willing to run like the wind...maybe. I haven't flown since March but I imagine* boarding and deplaning is much slower, especially on full flights.
    Last edited by B Likes To Travel; 10-05-2020 at 04:22 PM.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't "run like the wind" in 40+ years.
    I did pick up my saunter this morning when the rain drops started again.

It is hard enough to make Aruba plans and hard enough to comply with the regulations, then when the airlines do what they do...it makes it very difficult and frustrating.
    Aruba has yet to fall into "more trouble than it is worth."
    But the obstacles are there

Quote Originally Posted by B Likes To Travel View Post
    I agree with Andrea and Walt's suggestions. Overnight or flying through Charlotte.

I wouldn't want such a tight layover and wouldn't rely on them to hold the flight...checked bags too.

If you are flying in the front with carry ons only and willing to run like the wind...maybe. I haven't flown since March but I imaging boarding and deplaning is much slower, especially on full flights.
    November 26 - December 10 Photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/K6JFHPUx18oB69Nh7
    0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Have you considered a flight through Charlotte instead? We have a 2 1/2 layover there on the way down.
    No good connections through Charlotte on our date from DCA or IAD. There is a possibility of one out of Richmond that could work. All options are 2 stops or over 23 hours. If we have to go to Baltimore I would rather take the Southwest direct flight. We will be coming through Charlotte on our flight home.

We are lucky to have many airports to choose from, some easier to deal with than others, but man these connections are rough this year.
    0 0

Senior Member B Likes To Travel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    This made me let out one of those weird snort laughs LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    I haven't "run like the wind" in 40+ years.
    I did pick up my saunter this morning when the rain drops started again.

It is hard enough to make Aruba plans and hard enough to comply with the regulations, then when the airlines do what they do...it makes it very difficult and frustrating.
    Aruba has yet to fall into "more trouble than it is worth."
    But the obstacles are there

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    The airline changes are one reason why we haven't booked yet. I watch the schedules almost daily and saw what happened to schedules that were up for October and then canceled. Still watching November, but from the sounds of it, flight changes that month are also being changed frequently.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I flew across country and back in August. Everything was fine then. The airports are like ghost towns and boarding and deplaning was very organized and quicker than usual. I try not to book more than 12 hours or two stops of flight segments unless it's to Asia or the Middle East. If you have to do an overnight through design or due to other circumstances hotel selection is critical. I pick airport hotels that have free shuttles and usually try to use points or free nights to stay over. I have had my bags checked through after surprise layovers in Miami, Charlotte, Philly, Detroit, Chicago and a couple of places in Asia. Depending on your situation you can have your bags checked through on your flight the next day and just use a carry-on for the night in the hotel. Pam and I did that when we were forced to stay in Miami one night due to a late departure from Aruba. For the past 40 years my backpack always has a change of underwear, toothbrush and paste, and a clean shirt (and a couple of mini bottles of Bombay Sapphire) cause you just never know. Try not to stress over it and just go with the flow. Way too many people let air travel stress them out when all they need to do is plan for the worst, hope for the best and roll with it. The way things are going I would expect flights to change again as we get closer, especially since AA has laid off so many employees.