This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Departing AUA - Sunday 9.4.22

Post Thanks / Like

Departing AUA - Sunday 9.4.22

Just an update for everyone, since I know the airport can be such a crapshoot.

Our flight departed @ 3:55pm (Jetblue flight # 974 AUA to BOS for those of you keeping track). The email we received said we could arrive at the airport between 11:30 and 13:00. We were in the lobby of the Marriott at 10:45am, pouting, and feeling pretty blue. I'm the person who would much rather have WAY too much time at the airport, than be stressed out in line somewhere.

In the cab a bit before 11:00 and off we went. For the first time for us anyway, we were able to use the boarding passes on our phones, so no need to stand in the 1st checkin line for boarding passes, since we were not checking bags. Hopped in line about 5 minutes early, but by the time we got to the 1st person, it was 11:30 on the dot. Starting timing from here.

We were done with everything, and heading to our gate in 35 minutes!!!!! We do not check bags, so I know that helped, but this was the MOST efficient airport transit we've ever had.

I think the fact that it was the Sunday of Labor Day weekend cut down on the number of folks returning to the States (stretching it out til Monday), but for us, having the extra 1 day of buffer, helps for a much smoother re-entry to the real world.
    ~Debbie
    0 4

Post Thanks / Like
    Key words here is "crap shoot". You were the fortunate...

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL .
    0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Great timing! I'm sure the lack of checking/finding your bags had quite a bit to do with that!
    Loving Aruba from NJ
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Not having bags to check and claim and re-check is a huge time saver. Sorry you had to leave, but glad you got through with no issues.
    I want to grow my own food, but I can't find any bacon seeds...
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I am hopeful my return in a few weeks will be as smooth, but I'm doubtful since it's a 2:20 departure on a Saturday, but it is what it is.
    ​Laura from NH/Divi Village

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes a crap shoot for sure!

Sept 1 we were fine for the same flight BUT about 10 people missed their 2:30 flight to Ft Lauderdale. Think they arrived at airport on the end of their window rather than beginning. One guy said he was there 2 and a half hours ahead....just wasn't enough. Will say line at Aruba immigration was very long. Other lines were not congested when we arrived....3 hours ahead!
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know it is wonderful and we are all appreciative of having US Customs in Aruba, but the process must be made easier.
    I wish I knew how.
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? sidtm
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Hiring and scheduling more CBP agents and having more gates open would go a long way to alleviating the problem. Hiring and scheduling more TSA agents and having more than two lanes open would also be a huge help. It could be made much easier, but it would take some work and manpower, and that means money. Unfortunately, money probably won't be spent on that.

But hey, we get to go to Aruba!! and it still beats clearing customs and immigration anywhere in the US.
    I want to grow my own food, but I can't find any bacon seeds...
    0 3