This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Jan 25 Aruba Angela Airport experience

Post Thanks / Like

Jan 25 Aruba Angela Airport experience

I left aruba yesterday to come home after 19 great days. American flight to Miami was delayed by 45 minutes. Originally scheduled at 3:20, left around 4. Got to the airport at 1:45 and it was a zoo. After checking in at American counter, walked outside and that’s where the end of the line was. Took us over 2 hours to get from checkin to our gate. I think many people changed their flights to come home early to avoid having to test to return back to US. That’s the only explanation I can think of, as it shouldn’t have been that busy on a Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    We spoke with our older son and gf for a long time last night which was nice. I wish I was able to talk to my younger son more. His hours 7pm-7am and his days rotate. All I've been able to do is text and all his answers to my questions are "fine".

Anyway, I drug myself out of bed and finally got out to do my walk around 815. I have been trying to stick to this side of the road and walk the side streets and around a few of the complexes because even though I love the walking path, people really don't distance themselves and the large groups walking 3-4 across are just plain rude. I usually don't avoid it totally, but if I can I do. I really don't want to wear a mask while I am walking, so I try to stay away from groups of people. I just didn't feel like going to the gym today.

After my shower and breakfast I hung out working on Ancestry until I had to take my neighbor and her cousin to the airport. Two women, 3 large suitcases, 4 carryons. I went in and got had them come with wheelchairs for both and they got someone to help with the luggage. We said our goodbyes and I left. It was really quiet at the airport.

I would have made it back here in 10 minutes if they wasn't an accident in front of Talk of the Towne. It must have happened right before I got there, because there were 4 vehicles in front of me and the those in the accident were just getting out the cars. Once everyone cleared the cars, we(the other cars) were able to get past the accident. I came back(about 230/300) and played on the computer and read while Stu worked. Dinner was leftovers. It might be dinner tomorrow too since my friend gave us a bunch of food. We sat and watched the large Betico Croes Day traffic leaving the beach. There were lots of motorcycles and police were monitoring things.

Stu came back a few minutes ago form taking out the trash and was talking with security. Sondra told him the motorcycle groups were trying to do tricks and the police were trying to limit where they were doing them and then moved them along because the block traffic. Sondra also told him that the manager of the complex is aware of the construction and called yesterday wanting security to find out who they were, but the builders were gone by that time. They are not permitted to build there. I hope the info I sent to him will be what he needs.

Sondra from security also said someone form the forum or FB stopped in to see us yesterday, but would not give their name. If it is any of you, please let me know. I'd love to meet any of you.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Jan 25  Aruba Angela  Airport experience-110b194c-39fd-41c8-a46f-c35940fcf186-jpg

Here’s a picture I took when we reached the first tsa checkpoint. Way too many people!!!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my, looks way to crowded.
    June 8th - can't get here quick enough!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Angela,
    Welcome home. It is great to hear you enjoyed a long and wonderful vacation. That is disappointing that you had to deal with long lines at the airport on Monday because traveling through the Aruba airport has been so easy / breezy for the last 6 months, even in high season. I agree with your assessment that Mon Jan 25th must have been a mass exodus of tourists at the airport because the new rule requiring a negative COVID test result to board a plane to the USA, went into effect on Tues Jan 26th. I'm assuming airport lines are back to normal now.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I recently found out that earlier this past week, there was an emergency on the United flight that was coming in from Newark.
    (there was a death mid-flight)
    I am wondering if this situation had any effect on the backup inside the airport?

I too agree that maybe getting out b4 the mandatory return test and at home quarantine kick in caused lines.

November 26 - December 10 Photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/K6JFHPUx18oB69Nh7
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I had heard from several Aruba residents they had heard of alot of tourists were leaving the island early due to the new covid testing requirements. We got lucky and were scheduled for 1/21. We decided to head to the airport 15 minutes earlier than usually and we were so surprised had how empty the airport was. We went through the first security check and we had one person 6ft in front of us, and another couple behind us...that was it. They each stop at the shops and we continued on...we were the only ones in the luggage pickup area, and the only ones in the customs check point. I am sorry for your airport experience and hope you got home safely.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ArubaAngela View Post
    Jan 25  Aruba Angela  Airport experience-110b194c-39fd-41c8-a46f-c35940fcf186-jpg

Here’s a picture I took when we reached the first tsa checkpoint. Way too many people!!!
    You were on the same flight our my friend and her cousin. Two older women in wheelchairs-one in first class and one in coach.