This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Miami Airport question

Post Thanks / Like

Miami Airport question

Wondering if anyone has any recent experience flying from Miami to Aruba on American Airlines. Flying out of PIT early January and there are 2 options- one with a 45 min connection and one with a 2 hr connection. Never been to Miami Airport so I don't know the layout of American's terminal and if it would be cutting it too close to take the shorter connection. Other option is to fly Southwest out of Baltimore.
    Prices are comparable.
    Thanks in advance.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I flew AA..Orland to MIA to AUA.
    The. Orlando flight landed at gate 49 and we left out of 50 to Aruba.
    Easy Peasy.

Tracey and Jon on the other hand had to RUN and got on in the nick of time.
    they were on the flight from Reagan to MIA and their arrival gate was not so close and they too had less than an hour.

Opt for the 2 Hr connection time OR SWA nonstop from BWI.

Remember in January there is always weather to contend with that causes delays.

November 26 - December 10 Photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/K6JFHPUx18oB69Nh7
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    We often do the connection in Miami. This year our only option was a 40 minute connection. We originallybooked an hour and 40 minute connectionbut AA changed our flight.. Usually you are landing and taking off in terminal.D, but occasionally the take off is from terminal E. The terminals are connected so its not a big change. I would do the 2 hour connection. This year we had 40 minutes. We landed early. We had to get from gate 10 to gate 50. When we landed the next flight was already boarding. The gates seem. farther apart in Miami than our home airports so the walk was longer. There is a tram, which we should have taken. We were seated in row 2 on our first flight and when we got to the 2nd flight they were boarding groups 7-8. It was too close for my comfort level. We've done the SW out of BWI. Its such an easy airport. Parking may be an issue during Covid because the economy lots are closed, check their website. We prefer business class on AA over SW, thats why we typically choose the connection over the direct flight.

Post Thanks / Like
    We fly direct to Aruba from PHL, but have flown to other island through MIA. I would not be comfortable with only 45 minutes-too many variables to go wrong. I'd opt for 2 hours-you get a chance to use a bathroom larger than closet, you can grab a bite to eat and stretch your legs. If you only have 45 minutes, that means, IF the flight is on time and IF they gate is clear, you will have 45 minutes to get off the flight, find the gate and board. I seems like most boarding starts 20-30 minutes before the flight take off. I'd also be concerned, especially in Jan. leaving on time out of PIT. If the plane needs to be de-iced, they do that after leaving the gate(happened to us once out of PHL) at a de-icing station where the plane may have to wait its turn.

Post Thanks / Like
    2 hours for sure.
    June 8th - can't get here quick enough!

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I would never fly with a layover less than 2 hours..
    Missed connecting flight on AA 45 mi lay over in CLT; Flight was late getting in
    Connecting flight other side of airport.. and had to rebook another flight.
    If able try to get a direct flight.
    Last edited by brady bear; 11-30-2020 at 06:38 PM.
    0 1