This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Sunday airport departure

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Sunday airport departure

    Four of us arrived at the airport at 10:00 am for a 1:45 departure on southwest. Walked strait up to the ticket counter. We arrived at our gate in 45minutes. 15 minutes of that was at counter since our daughter and boyfriend were flying as our companions and we upgraded our boarding positions, took the nice gal at the counter little extra time to do all that. Also I was tagged for random screening at security checkpoints, which slowed us down. Funniest part was this was first time my wife and I used Global Entry, and our daughter and boyfriend who didn't have it beat us through US customs!
    0 2
     

  2. #2
    Senior Member LisaGrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1,571
    Post Thanks / Like
    The airport in Aruba is always an adventure of one kind or another! Hope you had a wonderful vacation!

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan r View Post
    Four of us arrived at the airport at 10:00 am for a 1:45 departure on southwest. Walked strait up to the ticket counter. We arrived at our gate in 45minutes. 15 minutes of that was at counter since our daughter and boyfriend were flying as our companions and we upgraded our boarding positions, took the nice gal at the counter little extra time to do all that. Also I was tagged for random screening at security checkpoints, which slowed us down. Funniest part was this was first time my wife and I used Global Entry, and our daughter and boyfriend who didn't have it beat us through US customs!
    0 0
     

  3. #3
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    40,213
    Post Thanks / Like
    excellent!
    I am smiling at the thought of your daughter and her friend beating you thru US Customs.
    hahahahahaha
    glad it was all easy peasy.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan r View Post
    Four of us arrived at the airport at 10:00 am for a 1:45 departure on southwest. Walked strait up to the ticket counter. We arrived at our gate in 45minutes. 15 minutes of that was at counter since our daughter and boyfriend were flying as our companions and we upgraded our boarding positions, took the nice gal at the counter little extra time to do all that. Also I was tagged for random screening at security checkpoints, which slowed us down. Funniest part was this was first time my wife and I used Global Entry, and our daughter and boyfriend who didn't have it beat us through US customs!
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? SIDTM
    0 0
     

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    321
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear! From what I’ve been reading I believe the weekend departure experience is better than pre-COVID. I truly believe it is the result of many canceling late summer when cases were sky high along with the fear of testing positive prior to leaving Aruba. The island is much less crowded than normal. Let’s see what happens in a few months. Fingers crossed.
    0 0
     

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our daughter and boyfriend after customs asked- Why'd we get here so early and you paid $100 each for that? All I could say is you never know how things are going to go in Aruba. Their first time in Aruba, and our first time staying at our newly acquired Oasis condo. They loved it. We moved to the Hilton for 3 days on thursday since we all had some Hilton free night awards and points to burn. It gave them the chance to experience Palm Beach as well as eagle beach. A little off topic, but that was a crazy storm Friday afternoon. Very close lightening strike near divi phoenix - never saw so many swimmers clear out of the ocean that fast! You would of thought there was a great white shark spotted. A parasailer went by that area just 4-5 minutes before that strike- they were sooo lucky. There were also numerous waterspouts on the other side of the island and some tourists even got video of one one the beach! Google " Aruba tornado" if you haven't seen it.
    0 0
     

  6. #6
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    40,213
    Post Thanks / Like
    a friend of mine sent me a text during the Friday storm and told me that she could not believe her eyes.
    she saw 2 waterspouts at the same time.

    thanks for sharing your experiences. weather and airport!!! who woulda thunk?

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan r View Post
    Our daughter and boyfriend after customs asked- Why'd we get here so early and you paid $100 each for that? All I could say is you never know how things are going to go in Aruba. Their first time in Aruba, and our first time staying at our newly acquired Oasis condo. They loved it. We moved to the Hilton for 3 days on thursday since we all had some Hilton free night awards and points to burn. It gave them the chance to experience Palm Beach as well as eagle beach. A little off topic, but that was a crazy storm Friday afternoon. Very close lightening strike near divi phoenix - never saw so many swimmers clear out of the ocean that fast! You would of thought there was a great white shark spotted. A parasailer went by that area just 4-5 minutes before that strike- they were sooo lucky. There were also numerous waterspouts on the other side of the island and some tourists even got video of one one the beach! Google " Aruba tornado" if you haven't seen it.
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? SIDTM
    0 0
     

  7. #7
    Senior Member schexc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    The Pearl at Eagle Beach
    Posts
    2,542
    Post Thanks / Like
    We've seen water spouts on the island before, but nothing with sand in the video.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8O_YeGLNGU







    OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL .
    0 2
     

  8. #8
    Senior Member cpjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Glitz Casino, Manchebo Beach Resort
    Posts
    6,050
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaGrn View Post
    The airport in Aruba is always an adventure of one kind or another!
    We always get there within the recommended time and always end up with 1 1/2 to 2 hours to kill at the gate...... but I know if we try to cut it close.... things will change and we'll miss the flight.... just sayin'.....
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the best of men!
    0 2
     

  9. #9
    Senior Member bhoffdhoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    701
    Post Thanks / Like
    We always plan to arrive at the airport within the recommended time. This year it was 4 hrs. I try to always get a wheelchair as my back hurts. I can only stand for short periods and can only walk short distances without my cane. I can walk a little further with my cane. Sometimes we get right thru and have plenty of time to spare. Sometimes we only have a little time. I always err on the side of caution.
    0 0
     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •