This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anything "Special" that you buy at grocery ?

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like

Anything "Special" that you buy at grocery ?

While in Aruba are there any special items that you buy in the grocery store?
    It does not have to be something that you cannot find at home, but also could be something that you would purchase for consumption while only on vacation in Aruba?

We tend to buy "dutch treats" ...stroopwaffel cookies and a coule of dutch cholcolate candy bars and douwe egbert coffee.
    Gouda cheese...not so much. We are cheddar folks
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a very pink salami that my kids like and we buy in Aruba - not sure what it is, not sure I want to know what it is They also love the stroopwaffels and botterkoek!

And we buy the sugary chemical laden, cereals that they can have on vacation.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the butterscotch chocolate And the gouda cheese is my favorite - am totally addicted while on the island.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I enjoy the dutch cookies, chocolate and cheese. (I think there is a store here in Florida that sells some of the "Dutch" treats but only during Christmas time.
    Also this Intalian dressing. Add some seasoning and makes great for dipping that hot bread.
    Always bring back any local spices and dutch products that I can enjoy while waiting for my next trip.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Gouda and 10oz Bud lights. I only mention the beer because we definitely don't have the smaller cans at home. We bought what I think we're stroopwaffel cookies but it didn't say that anywhere on the package. We even brought some home as grandparent gifts.
    We looked for the botterkoek last time at Lings but we couldn't find it.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Dutch treats, Gouda cheese, and a Wasabi mix.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone ever bring Gouda cheese home? Does the consistency change after it’s been frozen?
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    Anyone ever bring Gouda cheese home? Does the consistency change after it’s been frozen?
    I have brought Gouda home, but don't freeze it.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    absolutely do not freeze.
    we have and it became crumbly and pretty "wet" when thawed.

one of the things that we have also brought home from the aruba grocery stores is curry ketchup. WOW!

since we have cut waaaaaay back on carbs, that large bottle of the dutch curry ketchup that we bought in May has just sat in the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    I have brought Gouda home, but don't freeze it.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought about a 5 Kg wheel of gouda to bring back last trip. I cut it into about 1/2 pound chunks and froze it with my FoodSaver. I have had no problem when thawing, it is still the same consistency as it was fresh.... an excerpt from the web:

"To further extend the shelf life of Gouda cheese, freeze it; when freezing, place the cheese in the freezer before the number of days shown for refrigerator storage has elapsed. ... The freezer time shown is for best quality only - Gouda cheese that has been kept constantly frozen at 0°F will keep safe indefinitely"