This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: air conditioners and washers and dryers

Talking air conditioners and washers and dryers

Replacing central air in Aruba is expensive. We are replacing our system with an inverter type of air conditioner-the work should have started today. This is a need to do rather than a want to do. The musty smell is really bad and even after having the vents cleaned it came back. The unit is old, loud and our electric bills are over $500 a month. The new Lennox system will be almost $15,000 florins or about $9000-OUCH. I'm hoping we can save $200 a month in electric(based on what other units have saved by putting in the same system).

The dryer has been dying a slow death, and the washer is starting to rust. I wanted a front load washer and dryer, but the space is so shallow, I could only get a top load washer. Since our property managers deal with Lowes and have a person they use in Miami, it was a fairly painless process so far. I picked what would fit and I liked-not that there were too many options due to size and that I wanted Whirlpool based on previous experience. I also wanted Energy Star, but the top load ones and the electric dryers that would fit the space are not Energy Star. I did get a washer without an agitator, so large blankets can go in and the biggie-I can almost reach all areas of the bottom of the washer. Both were on sale and I got 10% with the Lowes credit card(total with cord and hoses about $1100) . I have no idea what the shipping and taxes will be.

BTW-Washers and dryers are available in Aruba, but the condo complex does not have gas and almost all dryers brought in for sale in Aruba are gas, so ordering from US is the best selection and least expensive route to go.

Good luck with the new stuff! Life sure is expensive!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

We have the inverter style ac here at home and find them to be very cost effective, as well as, quiet. With all your new appliances you shouldn’t have to worry about replacements for awhile.

Ouch!

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Aruba since 1979
    I am shocked reading of your current electric bill.

Electric and water are very expensive in Aruba. Even before we put up solar panels on our home, we were paying less in electric in the summer on a almost 3000sq.ft house with two air cons and 4 people than the 1500 sq. foot condo in Aruba with one AC. Our water bill per month is also more than the summer months here and our sprinkler goes on every other day and our home is on a 105x155 ft. lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    I am shocked reading of your current electric bill.

Aruba since 1979
    our elec bill in FLA averages............$150 per month ......summer usually $180......winter usually $120.
    our house is 2100 sq ft.

the upside, is we have no oil or gas bills to pay in winter for heat. (just elec)

we have been looking into the split inverter units for our house instead of the central air co.
    inverter units are not popular here and it is frustrating, especially at night air conditioning the whole house to 70 degrees, when we only want the bedroom to be cool.

so next time I complain about my bill, I will think of you and be grateful that I am not maintaining a home in Aruba.

good luck robin!

how much do you think that the shipping and duty will be on the new appliances?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post

how much do you think that the shipping and duty will be on the new appliances?
    I do not know right now. I am waiting to find out.

We have two split inverter units at our condo in Aruba. Most people we have talked to say that inverter units will save you about 50% over the older converntional units. The ability to cool individual areas in the unit are a huge plus. We close our bedroom door at night and shut the living area off completely. That being said our monthy water and electric bill for a month on the island averages about $115.00. However our unit is only 635 square feet, which is considerably smaller than Robin and Stu's. So far in the off season we experienced about a 60% occupancy and we're pleased with the conscientiousness of the tenants, averaging about $60.00 per month for water and electric. We have a small ranch here in the states at 1920 square feet, not counting the finished basement. The basement is 3/4 finished, so about 3600 square feet total, which we heat and cool year round. Our monthly gas and electric bill averages about $130.00 a month. So far we haven't minded giving up the square footage for a piece of paradise, as we spend the majority of our day outside.
    Last edited by schexc; 08-12-2018 at 01:26 PM.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Yikes Robin!! We have a large home on the island with splits in every room...only 2 are inverters. We run 2 most of the day. Even with a house full of guests and all 3 bedrooms running airco overnight our electric bill has never been $500! Hope you notice a significant reduction with the new system!