This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renting your home/condo/villa in Aruba......

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like

Renting your home/condo/villa in Aruba......

One of our forum members made mention recently of some things in her unit that came up missing or broken while she and her husband have it rented.
    Most of the things are bath or bed linens missing or a broken coffee mug ....that kind of thing.
    Not overly expensive stuff, but certainly an inconvenience and a pain.

Do you property owners who rent your property to others have any "stories".........good, bad, indifferent.

I would imagine that owning a property is much more stressful or complicated or inconvenient that we know about?.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not concerned with broken glasses or a holes in sheets or stained kitchen towels, but that is wear and tear. It's just the stuff that disappears that annoy me and things not taken care of such as properly cleaning a frying pan after using it. It shows a lack of respect to the owner. I'm sure they would not like it if someone removed items from their home.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Post Thanks / Like
    our landlord told us we leave the place better than we get it. we go yearly so we bring batteries and change all the batteries in the remotes, fans, and lock on the door. he forgets. if the toilet is running too much, my husband goes and gets new toilet thing and changes it. we actually leave tools there. my husband also brings a water filter for the fridge to change. And that is why he gives us the best deal on the planet and we can afford to stay 5 weeks. And even though he has someone who comes in and cleans after we leave, we clean it so well, his housekeeper has nothing to do but I know he needs to have her come in anyway. we respect his place and he loves that we come for as long as we do. he would love it if we stayed longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow I would live you as a renter. You sound like myself and my husband at our timeshare. If something is broken we call maintenance and have it taken care of. If people don’t report a problem, how will it get resolved.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    A group of us went out to dinner tonight. Two of us are owners and one rents for a month. The renters are in the same unit every year and each year more stuff is missing. The other owners have things missing, recently a cutting board. They've had lamps and vases broken. We have determined there are people like Gaby(and our renting friends) who take care of a place like they own it and then there are those who just don't care because it is not theirs and they've paid to use it-very entitled or self entitled. However, we still are not sure if who is removing the items from the units-renters or cleaning staff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Robin, have you considered installing security cameras?

0 0

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only problem with a camera is infringing on someone's privacy. Hotels aren't allowed to put one in their rooms, just the hallways. If you didn't rent it out and just had cleaning people come in, then that's fine. But I would never stay at a place that had a camera inside the rooms I was renting. I think that's a big no-no.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with Gaby on that one. I'd be invading the privacy of our renters.(we have thought about putting in a camera facing the beach so we can get our view from home). Like I said it isn't the $$$ amount, it is the time it takes to track things down here. It is also the fact that it looks like we are not taking care of our condo. However, after talking to friends who are renters and the stuff missing from their condo-knives, kitchen towels, hair dryer, cutlery, shot glasses, etc. What is surprising is that the owner of their unit is a realtor who's company manages many of the units here. I think we do okay.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that it is only to be expected that after renting out our villas for over 11 years we may have a tale or 2 to tell. Firstly, I must say that 99% of those we rent to cause us no problems and in the event of breakage or something not working advise us or property manager immediately. I want to also say that our experience, and that of friends here who have used the same rental/property management company, have had some of the same issues. It is not always the guests who are the problem.

The issues most common seem to be related to kitchen appliances. Broken coffee pot, burnt pans...that type of thing. We expect some glass breakage. It happens.

We protect ourselves with our OWN vacation rental agreement. Not Airbnb or Homeaway or the rental company's. We require the rental company to understand the terms in our rental agreement and the need to take action if any part of the contract is violated. It has worked well so far.

The types of damage have included a couple who enjoyed the evening too much and hit the front gate on the way home. They called us immediately full of apologies and paid for the repair. There was a family with a son who had some issues and broke a fence lights and swung on the drapes and pulled them down. Then he locked a bedroom door with the keys inside and we needed to get a locksmith.

We have learned the hard way over the years and there are some rental/property managers here we would never recommend.

Our worst experiences have not been vacation rentals but individuals renting mid to long term. Issues with drug dealing, contract violations, utility bills not paid etc. In these cases having a rental property here can be stressful as under Dutch law it is almost impossible to evict. I have done it but it was a challenge.

In summary, we have had good experiences in renting to vacationers. Many are repeat renters and we look forward to having them return.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have bought frying pans, etc and leave them because he doesn't have ones either big enough, etc, and don't forget we are there a long time. if not, I wouldn't care. But we have had the blender not working, called him, sent his manager out to get us a new one. sometimes i think he doesn't fix things cause he knows when we get there, we will, lol, but that's okay because he treats us great. he lets us leave things like lounge chairs, etc, in his locked shed and we have the combination.