This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing stuff from abroad.

Post Thanks / Like

Bringing stuff from abroad.

Hello all. Just would like my latest experience in the airport upon arrival to Aruba.

as the owner of the property. We are always bringing some little things for out property( bedding sheets, pillows., tools for fixing around) and we were dying for many many years without any issues.
    this time all arriving tourists were forced to scan their luggage and we were pulled aside by Aruba custom which start going they our staff, telling us that we have to pay taxes on the items, based on the price determined by local custom,
    To make story shoter, we allowed to bring items not to exceed in value of 400 Florins per person but must have provide all receipts. Otherwise they will apply their own appraisals.
    tjey mentioned that these rules always were there but now due to the Pandemic and shortage of money coming up to the country, all the rules are reinforced.
    just summarize: $220 per person and purchase receipts are must to be present,

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    were you charged?
    November 26 - December 10 Photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/K6JFHPUx18oB69Nh7
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. We do the same thing. I have stuff we are bringing, but no receipts. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by GETA62 View Post
    Hello all. Just would like my latest experience in the airport upon arrival to Aruba.

as the owner of the property. We are always bringing some little things for out property( bedding sheets, pillows., tools for fixing around) and we were dying for many many years without any issues.
    this time all arriving tourists were forced to scan their luggage and we were pulled aside by Aruba custom which start going they our staff, telling us that we have to pay taxes on the items, based on the price determined by local custom,
    To make story shoter, we allowed to bring items not to exceed in value of 400 Florins per person but must have provide all receipts. Otherwise they will apply their own appraisals.
    tjey mentioned that these rules always were there but now due to the Pandemic and shortage of money coming up to the country, all the rules are reinforced.
    just summarize: $220 per person and purchase receipts are must to be present,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    were you charged?
    we were lucky to find all receipts on the phone and did not get charged. But going forward, we will save all receipts.

Post Thanks / Like
    After we purchased, we brought a few smaller items, but really not much the last couple of years. We probably furnished 95% of our condo on the island. We just didn't find that it was worth the effort is savings. Besides, the wife always enjoys walking aimlessly through the stores, looking for a bargain...and I find a bar to hang in, while I wait, patiently.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    After we purchased, we brought a few smaller items, but really not much the last couple of years. We probably furnished 95% of our condo on the island. We just didn't find that it was worth the effort is savings. Besides, the wife always enjoys walking aimlessly through the stores, looking for a bargain...and I find a bar to hang in, while I wait, patiently.
    yes, we did exactly same thing . But little things lie bedding sheets, pillows they are just better quality and more choices in USA. Tools which need to be around the house are 3-4 times cheaper than in Aruba and etc,,, But in general Aruba’s market is getting much better and many many things does not make sense to bringing in. I ❤️ Aruba

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a house in Aruba also and usually bring down some supplies in our suitcases. We were always aware of the customs allowance and we've always brought copies of receipts for the items in our suitcases, just in case they were needed. But in 7 years of travel, we were never "pulled over" by customs in the scanning line until our trip in September this year. We noticed customs was searching the bags for many travelers, not just us - so if there is an item of value in a suitcase, Aruba Customs will definitely pull it out of the scanner and inspect it. It was also our impression that Aruba needs money and collecting customs fees at the airport, and enforcing the limits, is an easy way for the government to bring in income...and for this we did not mind. Especially since Aruba has always had the customs rule (collecting duty on merchandise >$220 total value per person brought to the island) but has rarely enforced it previously. The customs agents were very nice and polite. I highly recommend bringing receipts because the value one would pay in the USA or Canada for merchandise is typically much less than the value that Aruba would place on the item (since everything costs much more there) so documenting the value paid on your receipts for each item is highly recommended. And just for clarification, customs does not look at clothes, shoes, etc in your suitcase....they will only pull you aside for customs inspection if they see things like blenders, toasters, tools, bed sheets, comforters, etc in your suitcase. :-)
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a bunch of stuff I was planning on bringing-new silverware which I have a receipt. A few dishes to replace the missing ones. However, I also have items I had in the beach condo that we sold-blanket, beach towels, a pillow, etc. I have to go downstairs and see what I have and see what receipts I can "find".

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know too they are looking at "electronics"..computers, tablets, readers etc.

How do they know that you are not bringing these kind of things for your personal use for just a week or 2 or 3?

Example, I always bring my MacBook , my iPhone, my iPad and my own pillow.
    Since I am obviously a tourist (I will wear my black knee socks and sandals) they will not charge me right?

Over the years different Aruba friends have asked us to bring things for them. We always readily agree.
    Now it will require some extra thought.
    Our weirdest request was about 12 or more years ago..............the owner of the Promenade Restaurant overhead us tell the waiter that we'd be back in a couple of months. He asked me if I could get hold of Crest Spin toothbrushes. I said, sure. He had me pick up MANY. I cannot remember how many, but it was more than 20. I think that he handed us about $200. A few months later, tooth brushes delivered.

Another time we were asked to pick up XYZ at an auto supply store for a friend.

If these requests happened today, I wonder how we could get away with it? Would I tell Aruba Customs, that I have a thing abut teeth and I go around converting others to good dental health?
    November 26 - December 10 Photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/K6JFHPUx18oB69Nh7
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you know what tax rate they use?