This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thread: Mortgage approved!

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Mortgage approved!

Hello everyone,

I finally heard back from the bank today and my mortgage was approved dependent on a few contingencies. I was wondering if some of you could help me with some information. I’m so excited to have a place in my favorite place!

Do you guys recommend anyone for appraisals? I need an updated one for the bank. I also need life and homeowners insurance, I see some posts for homeowners insurance, but I’m wondering if any of you financed and who you went through for these things? I’m unsure if I need to do it in the US or Aruba.

The bank says that they must do inspection first. I was going to get my own, but does that mean I need to wait? It says “house inspection to be done by bank first”

So much is confusing. I can’t tell if taxes are included in the mortgage and what the bank closing fee is. I have a feeling a lot of terminology is just different.

Anyways, I know I will probably be a pain all month. But any recommendations are helpful. I’m going to scroll some old posts for property management info etc.

Can’t wait to formally join you all!

Tricia
    0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please please please get yourself an attorney in Aruba (I believe they are called Notaries)
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? sidtm
    1 2

Post Thanks / Like
    They are and they are not like notaries we have in the states...they handle the legal paperwork- I would never buy a house in the US without one...certainly would not consider going it alone in a foreign land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Please please please get yourself an attorney in Aruba (I believe they are called Notaries)
    Trip 38 booked for Feb! Cant wait.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks Andrea, I’m fairly naive. Where would I get an attorney/notary? I would assume the bank. I will definitely look into this. Is it because the paperwork is confusing or because the bank will try and take advantage?

it is all so hard to do while in the US

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the reasons you need a notary is because most of the paperwork is in Dutch. Where did you buy this property? Are you buying sight unseen?
    I want to grow my own food, but I can't find any bacon seeds...
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Our insurance agent is Arjen deSmit

arjen@verdant-insurance.com

297-734-4434

Who is your realtor? Your realtor should be helping you through this purchase.

Our notary was Johnson when we purchased our condo and New Leaf when we purchased the garage for our car a few years later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely not, I saw the place several times, I’m getting an inspection. I have an agent and was referred to a notary by the bank, but I’m always open to information.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s helpful, I’ll reach out to Johnson, the bank sent me a list and I’m not sure how to choose. I do have a realtor, Mike Hoeber at remax, but like I said he told me most of his clients don’t finance so he isn’t aware of certain things. A lot of people on the forum have recommended different realtors but he’s been working with me from the beginning so I don’t think mid sale a change is possible even if I wanted to.

The bank has been surprisingly helpful the past couple days. The amount of hidden costs of closing is humbling lol.
    0 0