This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Do we stay or do we go?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like

    Do we stay or do we go?

    Hi everyone! So we booked our trip to Aruba waaay back in January (we were so excited, it would be our first time). January feels like a lifetime ago. I have really valued everyone's information and trip recommendations. This forum is a treasure! We are now at decision day for our family as we need to cancel our booking by Monday in order to receive a refund from our hotel, the Divi. We are ready to take all the necessary precautions for the flight and while we are in Aruba. My husband's main concern for the trip is if it will be the experience we were hoping for when we first booked the trip or if we should just postpone the trip for another time when things resume to "normal". We would be traveling with out 13 year old daughter. I realize no one can make the decision for us, but any advice or thoughts you have would be more than appreciated.
    0 0
     

  2. #2
    Senior Member ArubaAce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Arashi Beach, Malmok Beach, Eagle Beach.
    Posts
    1,954
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is a tuff call and very personal.

    What month are you going?

    Yes it will be a different experience on account of all the regulations required for travel for your safety and others. The experience will be different because they just started to open up so a lot of restaurants are also probably opening up slowly.

    I think there are plus and minuses to the experience. Focusing on the positive you will have full access to the most beautiful beaches in the planet without worrying about beach huts, less crowding at restaurants, supermarkets. I think the negative experience might just be the traveling, airport but they seem to be pretty well organized than other islands, places.

    Good Luck!




    0 0
     

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    We will be going August 19 through the 25th.

    Quote Originally Posted by ArubaAce View Post
    That is a tuff call and very personal.

    What month are you going?

    Yes it will be a different experience on account of all the regulations required for travel for your safety and others. The experience will be different because they just started to open up so a lot of restaurants are also probably opening up slowly.

    I think there are plus and minuses to the experience. Focusing on the positive you will have full access to the most beautiful beaches in the planet without worrying about beach huts, less crowding at restaurants, supermarkets. I think the negative experience might just be the traveling, airport but they seem to be pretty well organized than other islands, places.

    Good Luck!
    0 0
     

  4. #4
    Senior Member B Likes To Travel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    629
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would postpone and cancel the hotel to get your money back. As Ace mentioned, the upsides are less crowding but the overall experience may be worth waiting for since its the first trip.

    Most of us here go at least once per year, sometimes more, and though we love it and know what to expect (under usual circumstances), many are still opting to wait things out.

    I should've been going in the next few weeks, but I'm waiting to see how things play out before I choose a new date.


    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Kiladitis View Post
    Hi everyone! So we booked our trip to Aruba waaay back in January (we were so excited, it would be our first time). January feels like a lifetime ago. I have really valued everyone's information and trip recommendations. This forum is a treasure! We are now at decision day for our family as we need to cancel our booking by Monday in order to receive a refund from our hotel, the Divi. We are ready to take all the necessary precautions for the flight and while we are in Aruba. My husband's main concern for the trip is if it will be the experience we were hoping for when we first booked the trip or if we should just postpone the trip for another time when things resume to "normal". We would be traveling with out 13 year old daughter. I realize no one can make the decision for us, but any advice or thoughts you have would be more than appreciated.


    0 0
     

  5. #5
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Any beach!!
    Posts
    6,504
    Post Thanks / Like
    Such an individual decision. We cancelled our November trip as we are high risk. I would love to be there now. I imagine it will be a different experience but you will still have those beautiful beaches with a spot for yourselves.

    0 0
     

  6. #6
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    36,878
    Post Thanks / Like
    personal decision.

    let me answer the question with a question...................do you feel safe letting your 13 yr old ride on a plane with masks......knowing that some have tested negative .........knowing that some will test in Aruba?

    do you feel safe knowing that if you or your husband test positive...you ill be separated and the infected person will be in isolation and the other 2 quarantined?

    I think it is a lot to ask us and I think you have to do what is right for you and your family.



    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0
     

  7. #7
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    4,726
    Post Thanks / Like
    First thing I would consider is your state of residence. Personal choice, but if I lived in a state where testing is required before you leave, I would cancel and get a refund. There is no guarantee you will be a able to get tested and get the results in time to upload them 12 hours before your flight. If you have the option to test in Aruba, I would still test at home a week or so before to make sure you are negative and isolate as much as possible so you can do as much as possible to not test positive on arrival. Personally if I were traveling with a minor or someone who would not be okay if we were separated I would probably postpone.

    Once you arrive and get through the testing, I feel confident you would be able to enjoy your vacation with smaller crowds, beautiful beaches, and stunning water colors that can put you in a trance.

    How much are you willing to gamble, that's basically what it comes down to.
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 07-17-2020 at 04:36 PM.
    0 1
     

  8. #8
    Senior Member LisaGrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nicole, timing is everything and I just took a break at work to come on and post about my own trip to Aruba in September, which I also booked last January when all was well. Extremely difficult and personal decision, but I cancelled it this morning.

    So many reasons among them being, as Andrea pointed out, I don't really want to get on a plane right now, let alone one that flies out of Kennedy in NYC; I'm almost "positive" (sorry, couldn't resist that one!) I wouldn't be able to get test results back within the time frame required (I think that situation is only going to get worse) so I'd have to wait until I arrive in Aruba. I personally don't want to take that chance even if I'm fairly certain it would be negative. Who really knows? I could be walking around with it right now and not know it! Too stressful when my sole reason for vacation is to relax on a beautiful beach and leave my extremely stressful job behind. Spending two weeks in isolation across the street from a tropical beach I can't get to is not my idea of fun. I will go next August or September (and those of you who remember her from the Arubacon thread, "P" for Priscilla is planning on coming with me for her first trip to the Happy Island!).

    I'm fortunate enough to live in New England where everything is fairly close, so before I actually cancelled Aruba, I booked a cottage right on the beach on Cape Cod (my other favorite vacation destination) for the same week. Hey, there may not be any palm trees, but it's a beach! And the lobster is better! LOL!

    I don't envy you the decision, Nicole. I've been waffling back and forth with it for weeks when I knew in my heart I was really just postponing the inevitable. Again, very personal decision. Everyone has a different comfort level.

    Now to figure out how to take off my trip ticker...what the heck, maybe I'll leave it on. It's got a palm tree on it after all! :-)
    0 0
     

  9. #9
    Senior Member coldsteel337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The less crowded beaches & the Dutch bars
    Posts
    318
    Post Thanks / Like
    On the Cape, The Lobster is WAY better and you can get fried clams.
    0 1
     

  10. #10
    Senior Member brady bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,181
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like many we too booked in January; our problem is we bought through another person's "BG" and don't
    really know how that works if Aruba's border is open.. then again it may close by September
    Hopefully the owner will let me change dates, if this happens; I will be willing to to work with them and vs versa.
    If everyone followed the "proper" guidelines from day one, this would not be such a huge problem;
    As for flying I will carry my small container of odor ban and clean our seats, and area; wear a bacterial virus mask;
    wear our mask in places such as casino's, stores, and etc.
    0 0
     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •