This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vaccination Update as of May 6, 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Don’t believe the Times. Seems like they want it to go on forever. I work in healthcare and was working during the whole pandemic. Population of COVID cases in the Hospital I work at which is a level 1 Trauma center is no where near what it was and people are getting vaccinated. I think if politics were not injected when the vaccine first came out the number of injected people would be way higher than it is now. The same politicians that said they will not get the vaccine we’re the first on line to get it.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by darlou57 View Post
    Don’t believe the Times. Seems like they want it to go on forever. I work in healthcare and was working during the whole pandemic. Population of COVID cases in the Hospital I work at which is a level 1 Trauma center is no where near what it was and people are getting vaccinated. I think if politics were not injected when the vaccine first came out the number of injected people would be way higher than it is now. The same politicians that said they will not get the vaccine we’re the first on line to get it.
    It wasn't an OpEd...it was a panel of scientists they interviewed including Fauci. The argument is that the rest of the world will factor into the challenges for reaching herd immunity (not just domestic hesitancy). If the variants are allowed to swirl, it's going to prove challenging to get to 70% (or even higher on some of the nastier variants).
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    That panel of scientists and experts probably hasn’t had contact with a patient in the last 20 years. List to the Doctors and staff on the front lines.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem with herd immunity is getting enough people to get vaccinated. There are just to many that are against the vaccine, don't feel it is safe, have made it political, etc. I hope that once the FDA gives full approval to the vaccine that those who question it's safety will choose to get vaccinated. You will always have the anti-vax group and those who won't get it because they are ignorant or misguided. Of course, there are those who have severe allergies and it is not recommended for them, but they are in the minority.

0 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by darlou57 View Post
    That panel of scientists and experts probably hasn’t had contact with a patient in the last 20 years. List to the Doctors and staff on the front lines.
    I'm listening to the doctors and nurses being interviewed in North America (predominantly CBC and NPR) and the situation is not good particularly in Ontario and Alberta and now there are new outbreaks in the Maritimes (Newfoundland and Nova Scotia) which were previously "bubbled" and safe. All are reporting cases linked to the existing and emerging variants and all are really worried about what else is going to show up - particularly from hot spots like India.

I agree that politics has definitely created a good part of the train wreck that the world is currently in. BUT we do need those scientists working in labs to beat this thing. MRNA technology/vaccines never would've gotten off the ground without them.

And definitely worried about burnout for front-line healthcare workers. It's unrealistic to expect them to keep this pace up and the burnout is going to have a long-lasting toll.

There's a doctor, Michael Warner, who works at Michael Garron hospital in Ontario. He's been in the Canadian media a lot - he's giving front-line accounts of what's going on... it's frightening and heart breaking. He's using the platform to push the government to enable paid sick leave for essential workers and explains, in very graphic detail, the costs of not putting programs in place. A true "face of the pandemic".
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    It's now open season for vaccination on the island!

https://www.government.aw/news/news_...021_56570.html
    0 3