This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: Aruba’s Shoko (burrowing owl)

Post Thanks / Like

Aruba’s Shoko (burrowing owl)

Aruba is home to a small burrowing owl. They have long legs and a small 7.9 inch body. They live in burrows near cactus and dry areas. they are referred to as Shoko by the people of Aruba. The closest I’ve come to seeing one is a photo the Bucuti shared of a Shoko resting on one of their chairs in the lobby. If it counts, the Mopa Mopa shop has small hand crafted Shokos in their gift shop that are cute and colorful.

What I realize in posting this, is there is a lot more for us to explore in Aruba.

0 4

Post Thanks / Like
    Peg you are right, there is so much to explore in Aruba. I think even folks that would rather sit on the beach at the resort their entire trip should at least take a guided taxi tour and discover some of the wonderful local things that are everywhere on the island. I understand people that want to go to Aruba, sit on the beach and have a nice dinner in the evening. They get along well without the use of a car and have a wonderful trip/vacation, they return year after year and are thoroughly satisfied. And that's great, I get it. Then there are folks like us, who rent a car and drive down dirt roads finding that special rum shop hidden away off the beaten path or take a drive to the "other side" to see the wilderness that makes Aruba so diverse and interesting. We saw a Shoko on a trip to Arikok once quite by accident. We were driving along, looked over and there it was sitting on a cactus. I was so surprised I didn't get a photo.

1 3

Post Thanks / Like
    I see them all the time at the Divi Golf course, they nest in the sand traps.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeW View Post
    I see them all the time at the Divi Golf course, they nest in the sand traps.
    I might have to take up golf!

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Artmando is on FB and his postings are public.
    He is an unbelievable artist.

I encourage all to follow him on FB

Aruba’s Shoko (burrowing owl)-screen-shot-2021-03-03-11-37-16-am-jpgAruba’s Shoko (burrowing owl)-screen-shot-2021-03-03-11-37-34-am-jpg

November 26 - December 10 Photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/K6JFHPUx18oB69Nh7
    0 1

Senior Member LeaveTheKidsWithMom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aruba Golf Club in San Nicolas has hundreds of them, they are all over the place.

0 1