This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canceling? Procedures? Expectations? Trip Insurance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba Ariba View Post
    Hi Andrea

We have not had a great experience with getting a refund or changing our dates with our villa rental company. We did ask to choose different dates, but they wanted to charge us all over again. To date we have had to cancel and lost all of our money due to there zero flexibility. Aruba have said they are not excepting flights from the uk and certain other countries until the 31st of March. Then it will be assessed at that date, BUT klm have still not announced any flight cancellations yet. So it is all up in the air. I am not happy because most hotels and villa rental companies in Aruba have been sympathetic to the situation and are at least offering some kind of resolution. So BEWARE, there are some out there that will exploit this current situation.

As an owner of 2 villas that I rent to vacationers through certain rental agencies here, can you please tell me who this was so I can avoid dealing with someone who is taking advantage in a bad situation.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    that is unfortunate.
    if you would message me the name of the company I can pass the information along to the Aruba Tourism Authority
    or feel free to post the name of the company here.

I believe that folks should at the very least be given future credit.
    I believe that a reputable person/place would offer a full refund.

I read yesterday on another forum that a couple left their hotel a few days early and tried to fly home.
    Unfortunately their flight that they hoped to be on was either cancelled or they could not get on for some reason.
    They returned to the hotel where they had been for 11 days prior and the nightly rate given was significantly higher that what they had been paying. They messaged me, I put them in touch with owner services at LaCabana and they were able to rent there from an owner at less than $600 for a week.

It is a strange time.

Hi Andrea

We have not had a great experience with getting a refund or changing our dates with our villa rental company. We did ask to choose different dates, but they wanted to charge us all over again. To date we have had to cancel and lost all of our money due to there zero flexibility. Aruba have said they are not excepting flights from the uk and certain other countries until the 31st of March. Then it will be assessed at that date, BUT klm have still not announced any flight cancellations yet. So it is all up in the air. I am not happy because most hotels and villa rental companies in Aruba have been sympathetic to the situation and are at least offering some kind of resolution. So BEWARE, there are some out there that will exploit this current situation.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an Allianz policy that is very broad in coverage. However, one stated exclusion is "epidemic" as declared by World Health Organization. I know its a weasel clause in their policy but as far as I'm concern, there is no epidemic in Aruba and technically, pandemic has a different definition. staying hopeful. Hope is better than having to deal with American Airlines customer service. Be safe all.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Andrea,

Thanks for offering assistance. The rental company is called Renthouse Aruba. We emailed them to see if we could change our dates and asked them to contact the owner and the manager of the rental company to see if they would be flexible and change our dates to later in the year when this has all blown over, but they said no, we would incurr costs and have to rebook and pay again. we didnt want to cancel, we just wanted to go at a later date but not have to pay twice. I am devastated that we can't go to Aruba but as they have closed the borders and Renthouse Aruba wont help, we didnt have a choice. They didnt seem to care. I would never book with them again. I can send you there response if you like and you can forward it onto the Aruban Tourist Authority. we were just unfortunate with this rental company.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am sending you a private message
    Hi Andrea,

Thanks for offering assistance. The rental company is called Renthouse Aruba. We emailed them to see if we could change our dates and asked them to contact the owner and the manager of the rental company to see if they would be flexible and change our dates to later in the year when this has all blown over, but they said no, we would incurr costs and have to rebook and pay again. we didnt want to cancel, we just wanted to go at a later date but not have to pay twice. I am devastated that we can't go to Aruba but as they have closed the borders and Renthouse Aruba wont help, we didnt have a choice. They didnt seem to care. I would never book with them again. I can send you there response if you like and you can forward it onto the Aruban Tourist Authority. we were just unfortunate with this rental company.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    a declared epidemic world wide is pandemic.
    I do not like the weasel clause in my travel insurance either.
    we still have not cancelled.
    our departure date is April 30
    Quote Originally Posted by MinJeeBoys View Post
    I have an Allianz policy that is very broad in coverage. However, one stated exclusion is "epidemic" as declared by World Health Organization. I know its a weasel clause in their policy but as far as I'm concern, there is no epidemic in Aruba and technically, pandemic has a different definition. staying hopeful. Hope is better than having to deal with American Airlines customer service. Be safe all.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    sent you the info Andrea
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Have not cancelled for late April (Delta) but may push the dates back by a week or so since there are currently no change fees to do so. Checked with my hotel and car rental and both are available for the new dates I'm looking at. Plan B is to change to November dates or New Years Eve. Hard to say though right now when we are juggling other trips as well. Will make a decision probably before April 1.

No cancellations penalties with my airline, hotel, or car rental so I am free to make whatever decision I need to.
    ~Amy~® -- South Beach: Jan. 2020 -- New Orleans: Feb. 2020 -- Playa del Carmen: March 2020 -- Oregon winecountry/coast: July 2020 -- 40th trip to Aruba: Nov. 2020

0 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Andrea,

Sorry to hear about this. I have had friends who did rent through RentHouse but circumstances were obviously a lot different. They did not have issues. I personally have never dealt with them for rentals. I should mention that when we purchased our Villas here, we did not know they represented the sellers. We used Coldwell Banker and Aruba Living Today to handle the purchase. In both cases, RentHouse pulled unethical and devious stunts, including stripping items from the houses....washer, dryer, drip system timers and pumps...and so on. I was able to get the notary here to take action that forced them to make restitution. I find it alarming that they still behave in this manner. We have heard from others about horror stories involving the owners of RentHouse.

To anyone considering dealing with them, be careful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just changed my dates today with airline (Delta), hotel (Amsterdam Manor), and car rental (Tropic). No change/cancellation fees and there were never any deposits required so all is good. The April/May trip to Aruba is now booked for 2 weeks in early November.
    Last edited by ~Amy~®; 03-30-2020 at 03:15 PM.
    ~Amy~® -- South Beach: Jan. 2020 -- New Orleans: Feb. 2020 -- Playa del Carmen: March 2020 -- Oregon winecountry/coast: July 2020 -- 40th trip to Aruba: Nov. 2020

0 1