This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Downtown

Post Thanks / Like

Downtown

We headed to Oranjestad because I needed to buy running shoes and was hoping Athlete's Foot would have them in stock. No luck.

Things are pretty bleak on Main St. Lots of boarded up stores, the banks have left... even Aruba Aloe was closed. Aruba definitely needs tourism to come roaring back if the downtown core is a reflection of the economy. The trolley is like a streetcar for ghosts.

We grabbed lunch at The Pastechi House. It wasn't great. They've definitely slid down as well. http://www.thepastechihouse.com/

On a brighter note, we discovered the Aruba Coffee Roasting Company! And, man, are we happy. They roast the beans on the premises and the difference from coffee beans at the supermarket is astounding! An exciting find! There's also a cafe if you just want to try the coffee. We've always thought it was strange that Aruba doesn't have better coffee given the proximity to South America. Very helpful staff and a nice setting. Apparently they give tours of the roasting area in non-apocalyptic times:

https://www.facebook.com/arubacoffeeroasters/

I hope we can all do our part to hit Oranjestad before it's too late.
    4 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Sad to hear this about downtown. We enjoy staying downtown for a few days each trip. It seems as though people just don’t show interest in heading there. There are quite a few good restaurants and some nice shopping. Hope things turn around.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Every time we visit Aruba we choose the day we are going to Barefoot, leave the beach early to get ready. Then we jump in a cab to head downtown at about 3:30 to shop around. Later we hop in a cab to Barefoot for sunset dinner. We noticed the change in the stores this year with no selection. My husband was looking for a new dive watch. Nothing jumped at him. I wanted to buy something in my favorite store Rage but again hardly anything to choose from. I found it sad but totally understandable with what they went through.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that when the plan for the trolley and then the construction of the trolley tracks and the downtown beautification project began.........that spelled disaster for some/all of the shops/businesses on that trolley route.
    That whole area was hurting badly even before Covid 19.

The term "White Elephant" always come to my mind when thinking about the trolley.

Quote Originally Posted by Colette M View Post
    Every time we visit Aruba we choose the day we are going to Barefoot, leave the beach early to get ready. Then we jump in a cab to head downtown at about 3:30 to shop around. Later we hop in a cab to Barefoot for sunset dinner. We noticed the change in the stores this year with no selection. My husband was looking for a new dive watch. Nothing jumped at him. I wanted to buy something in my favorite store Rage but again hardly anything to choose from. I found it sad but totally understandable with what they went through.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 10-13-2021 at 11:18 AM.
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? SIDTM
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    This is sad. Palm Beach and Passeo De Herencia malls also pretty empty. Movie theaters are cancelling shows, because not enough people purchased a tickets.
    But unfortunately we can say similar about NYC, Brooklyn, Queens where many stores are closed and abandoned.
    Hopefully we all get thru these hard time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Boy, do I ever agree with you about the coffee in Aruba! Juan Valdez coffee isn't even that great there. I ended up ordering coffee with a shot of espresso just to get a good cup of STRONG coffee. Will have to check out this new place next year.

I noticed how quiet downtown was when we went down in August to Taste My Aruba. Very sad to see.

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    We headed to Oranjestad because I needed to buy running shoes and was hoping Athlete's Foot would have them in stock. No luck.

Things are pretty bleak on Main St. Lots of boarded up stores, the banks have left... even Aruba Aloe was closed. Aruba definitely needs tourism to come roaring back if the downtown core is a reflection of the economy. The trolley is like a streetcar for ghosts.

We grabbed lunch at The Pastechi House. It wasn't great. They've definitely slid down as well. http://www.thepastechihouse.com/

On a brighter note, we discovered the Aruba Coffee Roasting Company! And, man, are we happy. They roast the beans on the premises and the difference from coffee beans at the supermarket is astounding! An exciting find! There's also a cafe if you just want to try the coffee. We've always thought it was strange that Aruba doesn't have better coffee given the proximity to South America. Very helpful staff and a nice setting. Apparently they give tours of the roasting area in non-apocalyptic times:

https://www.facebook.com/arubacoffeeroasters/

I hope we can all do our part to hit Oranjestad before it's too late.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I bring coffee down to Aruba.. I agree that the coffee there is not up to par. We always spend at least two days in Oranjestad. I especially love looking at (and sometimes buying) jewelry. I wonder if those shops have shuttered?
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    The major jewelry stores are open downtown and also across from Holiday Inn where there are shops, kiosks and restaurants. The selection may not be the same in some stores. Funny I never noticed the coffee issue in Aruba and I like strong coffee. But I drink it black and we have Starbucks in our hotel lobby which is strong.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt11946 View Post
    I bring coffee down to Aruba.. I agree that the coffee there is not up to par. We always spend at least two days in Oranjestad. I especially love looking at (and sometimes buying) jewelry. I wonder if those shops have shuttered?
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    You're lucky! There isn't a Starbucks within walking distance of Manchebo. Otherwise, I'd be there every morning. I'm a devoted fan from way back! I have a good friend who lives in Seattle who swears the only reason I first started flying out to visit her ages ago was just for my Starbucks fix (before my beloved brew came East). Not denying or affirming...:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Colette M View Post
    The major jewelry stores are open downtown and also across from Holiday Inn where there are shops, kiosks and restaurants. The selection may not be the same in some stores. Funny I never noticed the coffee issue in Aruba and I like strong coffee. But I drink it black and we have Starbucks in our hotel lobby which is strong.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sgt11946;382496]I bring coffee down to Aruba.. I agree that the coffee there is not up to par. We always spend at least two days in Oranjestad. I especially love looking at (and sometimes buying) jewelry. I wonder if those shops have shuttered?[/QUOTE

It looks like most of the jewelry stores on LG Smith are still open. Inventory might be an issue though.
    0 0