This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duplicate Credit Card Charges in Aruba

Post Thanks / Like

Duplicate Credit Card Charges in Aruba

We just returned from 9 days in Aruba with our family group of 11 people. Upon arriving home and checking some of our credit card accounts online, we and our in-laws, who split many of the restaurant charges found SEVERAL duplicate charges on our credit cards.

For example, the 4 of us (2 couples) dined at a restaurant and we split the bill evenly. Each of us were charged TWICE for our 1/2 of the bill, in other words they double charged the entire dinner! We have both disputed the duplicate charges with our credit card company.

We had two other duplicate charges which occurred at a gift store (next to Duschi Bagels) and at a gift shop in a large hotel which I have disputed these charges as well. The credit cards (2 separate chase Visa cards) have credited my accounts and lodged the disputes with the vendors.

Our in-laws, in addition to the duplicate charges at the restaurant we ate at with them above also had duplicate charges at Two other restaurants (which we did NOT charge at), as well as at one other restaurant where we did dine with them and our entire family and split the bill as well (we only had 1 charge for our portion).

I'm not sure what is going on, but this is alarming to me. I tried checking other threads here and didn't see any specifically mentioning this occurrence. Please make sure to KEEP your receipts and check your credit card charges carefully for your Aruba expenses.
    Last edited by Pop-pop Brian; 07-25-2019 at 12:56 AM.
    Brian

0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    it pays to always check.

have these charges actually been debited? or are they still in the pending category?

I find that sometimes very strange things are happening in the "Pending" category and sometimes when I call the representative tells me that it will be flagged and to wait til it reaches the debit section.

EVERY one of those businesses is very reputable and I hope there is some type of error or confusion and not something nefarious.
    Please let us know how it all plays out.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I always keep receipts as the charges take days to clear. I monitor closely and wait for them to clear. If there are any issues after that, get the bank involved.
    Last edited by Bri; 07-25-2019 at 07:31 AM.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Andrea, Yes, Mine are all posted charges (not pending) and in fact the two for Chase Sapphire Reserve are already on the statement (the billing cutoff date was during my trip). None of the Chase reps indicated that any of these were pending and that I should "wait a few days" to see if they posted. Manchebo Beach Chophouse double charging BOTH of our credit cards sure sounds "nefarious" to me, unless they were having some big time problems with their credit card machine.

Thankfully, the credit card companies are usually very good about handling these types of issues and have already told me that the credits posted are permanent and I can deduct the duplicate charges from my next payment due.

7 instances over the course of 9 days for 2 visitors?!!
    Brian

0 1

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Post Thanks / Like
    someone on TA said the same thing

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe it was talked about on facebook’s All things aruba also
    0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    this one GABY?

FROM TA
    I once had duplicate charges from a restaurant, cc couldn’t do anything until it cleared. Sure enough it was a computer error and only one cleared. On the bright side, credit card companies are getting better at having your back on this stuff

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    someone on TA said the same thing

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, it was this one . It was just posted today I believe.

"Almost every transaction from our trip to Aruba last week has hit our credit and debit cards twice...Including multiple families and cards. Has anyone else had this experience? The charges come across on statements as slightly different names and on different dates.We had a wonderful trip but having to dispute every charge since then has put a damper on it!"

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did not see that posting on TA
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    No, it was this one . It was just posted today I believe.

"Almost every transaction from our trip to Aruba last week has hit our credit and debit cards twice...Including multiple families and cards. Has anyone else had this experience? The charges come across on statements as slightly different names and on different dates.We had a wonderful trip but having to dispute every charge since then has put a damper on it!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Under this heading, of course no one responded cause ==well, i don't need to tell you my feelings, lol

Credit Cards from Week in Aruba charged twice?