This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating Fish

Post Thanks / Like

Eating Fish

Is it safe to eat Barracuda? It’s not a fish that I’ve had before but seems to be popular in Aruba.

Also, I am looking forward to trying a whole fish such a snapper, however I am concerned about the amount of bones that I will be picking out when a whole fish is prepared this way. Are there “a lot” of bones that have to be picked through when the whole fish is prepared this way.

thank you all - first trip to Aruba from Jan 2 to Jan 12 with wife and sons 23 and 20. Staying at a private home/villa behind Marriott.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the best barracuda I've ever eaten at Wacky Wahoo's. The restaurant isn't my favorite, but that barracuda was awesome!

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    As Walt says yes...........we have had outstanding Barracuda at Buccaneer and Driftwood.

Red Snapper......yup..........there are bones. We often see people being served the whole fish and they kind of pick at it and avoid the bones and when all is done, all that remains is a skeleton, head and tail. It is not my idea of delicious or appetizing, but that is just me.

I think if you want the most realistic Aruba fresh fish experience...try Zeerovers and Redfish.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    What does barracuda taste similar to? I like swordfish,haddock,grouper,Maui mani-but hate salmon-tastes like dirty feet to me.
    Jayna-Beach Bum at ❤️
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Barracuda is MILD and delicious.
    It is almost the same texture as swordfish and sold as steaks or as chunks that can be put on a skewer.

Look for it in your local fish dept or if you have a Costco or BJs there might be some in the frozen section.
    It is delicious pan fried, or grilled or baked.......served with remoulade sauce.
    We have bought Barracuda at our local Publix. It was $14 lb and sold in chunks. Paul cooked it on the grill on skewers.

We also used to get Barracuda (as well as shark) at a restaurant on Nahant Beach in Ma.
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for answering Andrea! I will be hunting out barracuda in May!
    Jayna-Beach Bum at ❤️
    0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    jayshea give salmon another try in the air fryer..........with honey mustard salad dressing on it.
    I hated salmon prior to having it prepared this way.
    we now buy it at Sams ...with a crabmeat stuffing....in the fresh fish dept and about 14 min in the air fryer at 400 with honey mustard and it is delicious.
    I think salmon is an acquired taste.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve only had barracuda at the Lazy Turtle and it was great! Red Snapper can be a little annoying with the bones but I love to have one while in Aruba.
    also recommended Red Fish and Zeerover. Love them both!

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    jayshea give salmon another try in the air fryer..........with honey mustard salad dressing on it.
    I hated salmon prior to having it prepared this way.
    we now buy it at Sams ...with a crabmeat stuffing....in the fresh fish dept and about 14 min in the air fryer at 400 with honey mustard and it is delicious.
    I think salmon is an acquired taste.
    Eeewww…

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I had barracuda for the first time and Driftwood and I thought it was very very good. I would definitely get it again.
    1 0