This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ghost town

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought tourists were asked to leave when the borders were closed. Am I wrong?

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Correct.
    Even home/condo owners All non residents.
    I believe that temporary workers were allowed to stay.
    currently the Bucuti has 1 guest...... really!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    I thought tourists were asked to leave when the borders were closed. Am I wrong?
    November 26 - December 10 Photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/K6JFHPUx18oB69Nh7
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are you staying on the island???

Quote Originally Posted by Mohair View Post
    My wife and I are among the 100 tourists still present on the island. My morning walk takes me from Amsterdam Manor on the northern end of Eagle Beach all the way to Bushiri Beach next to the port. This morning I encountered only nine people walking the beach. All the resorts have stacked or stored their lounge chairs and the only people you see are security guards. It is very strange. All the restaurants are closed and there is a mandatory curfew from 9:00 P.M. until 6:00 A.M. They have already arrested several violators. The fine is 1000 florins.

On the plus side we are able to enjoy any palapa we want. Also, the first turtle nest of the year appeared on March 17. This photo is from La Cabana.

We are very comfortable with our decision to stay. We are scheduled to depart in early May.Attachment 8180
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    While I defer to Walt & Andrea (because they are the experts), I've been reviewing all of the guidelines on the Health Requirements tab on aruba.com and I haven't seen anything that said a tourist cannot be on the island. The Health Requirements page states that as of March 16th...anyone who is not a resident of Aruba will not be permitted to enter Aruba (containment of the population on island). And the guideline also said that visitors in Aruba will be able to leave Aruba. I didn't see anything that said tourists MUST leave. Given that so many return flights were cancelled by the airlines, my expectation is that the Aruba Government is allowing some flexibility to tourists, as long as they comply with all the guidelines for curfew, and now shelter in place. Tourists do have confirmations on flights to the leave the island...they are just unsure of the arrangements in the ever changing airline schedules.
    I think the key thing a tourist needs to be aware of is that paperwork must be filed with Aruba if a stay is planned for more than 30 days. Any stay longer than 30 days requires paperwork (a request for an extension of stay).

Here is a link more details on Duration of Stay in Aruba: https://www.visitaruba.com/traveling...nts-and-visas/
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chris you may be correct.
    You know the word "assume"? hahahaha
    I must have just assumed every tourist was given their walking papers?

Never have I thought myself an expert on Aruba immigration/rules.
    I am a jack of all trades and a master of none.
    November 26 - December 10 Photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/K6JFHPUx18oB69Nh7
    1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the kind words Chris, but expert? Ah, no. Which is why I asked if I was wrong, (which I've been known to be several times recently). But back to the original post, I don't think I'd enjoy being on the island for so long in a shelter in place scenario. I wouldn't enjoy the ghost town feeling at all, regardless of palapa availability.

Post Thanks / Like
    You do not need special paperwork to stay more than 30 days. We have stayed 91 days without additional paperwork and so have several of our friends.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was never expressed to us that we had to leave. We also, we're contemplating staying on the island, as I posted earlier. We left for one simple reason, unknowns. Well Now that I think about it...that is many reasons
    Last edited by schexc; 03-27-2020 at 08:42 PM.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    How many Coronavirus cases have they detected on the island? Originally there were two and the were people from the US who were visiting.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you two staying in one of the hotels?
    0 0