This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Hi folks, question about car rentals

Post Thanks / Like

Hi folks, question about car rentals

A little background first, my wife and I have been to Aruba 2 times previously but not in the last 10 years (went to Kauai and Maui instead), we have in the past stayed in Oranjestad for a few nights and then to either Eagle or Palm beach for a few nights then to either Marriot or Ritz for the end of our stay, we usually did not rent a car till we got to the beach location (forcing ourselves to enjoy the sights of downtown). We did not actually rent a car till the day before we went to the beach location i.e. arrived in Aruba with no car reservation, just walked into a rental place and rented a car for the remainder of our trip. I am thinking of doing the same thing this time.

The question: Do we reserve a car and prepay? Reserve a car and choose play later option or just wing it like we usually do, I have found in the past in both Hawaii and Aruba that walking up to the counter has given us pretty good deals, but the with COVID thing screwing up travel royally the past year and everyone and their dog are out vacationing this summer it has increased demand for rentals.

We are going to be in Aruba for 15 days in Oct/Nov. so I am thinking peak travel will be over and demand won't be as high and just waiting may be okay, I have thought of reserving but not paying till we get there but I am the type of person who doesn't like to make reservations and cancel because there is a better deal elsewhere after we arrive.

Other suggestions are welcomed.

And what rental companies are good nowadays in Aruba.

Thanks
    Last edited by David0526; 05-08-2021 at 12:51 PM.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We always use Jay's rental car when on the Island. We have a mid-sized car for our upcoming trip and we reserve it and they take our card when we get there. We are paying just under $400 for our 2 weeks. We have used them the last 4 trips and highly recommend. They pick you up at the airport as well. You can reserve directly from their website.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We use Tropic Car Rental. We have also used Avis, Royal and More4Less in the past. We have been happy with them all. We usually reserve a car ahead of time, secure it with a credit card and pay for it when we turn it in.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    we also use tropic

the form is sent to us to fill out and print and we give it to them on arrival

good luck
    AIDTM THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind?

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I love Tropic. Hans is in my will.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David0526 View Post
    We are going to be in Aruba for 15 days in Oct/Nov. so I am thinking peak travel will be over and demand won't be as high and just waiting may be okay, I have thought of reserving but not paying till we get there but I am the type of person who doesn't like to make reservations and cancel because there is a better deal elsewhere after we arrive.
    I'm going to predict that the traditional definitions of high and low season (i.e 'peak travel') will be thrown out the window in the next few weeks/months/years as people are 1) getting fully vaccinated and 2) chomping at the bit to get out and travel. We've had close calls NOT getting cars because we left it too late in November, December and, in particular, January/February.

If you go with the traditional car companies, you can reserve and just let it lapse in a lot of cases but I'd check with them about that.

For the first time, we've done a long-term rental with Tropic Car Rental (the forum-infamous, Hans) and they've been stellar. Unbelievably fantastic customer service and serviceable cars (we don't need anything fancy) with some of the best rates on the island (I shopped around). We will only use them going forward. AND they wash the car every two weeks!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all these tips on car rentals! For those of you that do not stay at a resort (i.e. Airbnb, some other rental program like that), Tropic does not necessarily rent in that situation (unless there is a locked driveway). From their website FAQs:

I am staying at a vacation rental/Airbnb location. Can I rent a car from you?

Tropic car rental requires a location with a locked driveway. We do not accept reservations if the vehicle will be parked on or next to the road overnight.
    Pictures from our Oct 2020 trip: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TGHm1uumCXGEkEHv5

0 0