This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: July 1......new law takes effect. Plastics and Oxybenzone

  1. #1
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    36,165
    Post Thanks / Like

    July 1......new law takes effect. Plastics and Oxybenzone

    remember on July 1


    Plastic ban ordinance for Aruba; effective July 1st, 2020:

    - Single-use plastic bags with or without handles;
    - Disposable plastic or foam cups (polystyrene);
    - Disposable plastic cutlery;
    - Plastic straws;
    - Disposable plastic or foam dishes (oxybenzone);
    - Stirrers;
    - Disposable plastic foam (polystyrene) such as foam boxes;
    - Oxybenzone containing sunblocks;
    - Using balloons and plastic confetti outdoors. These cannot be released into the air because they can enter the ocean.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    2 0
     

  2. #2
    Senior Member robin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Oceania, north side
    Posts
    3,121
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw that the single use bags also include the bags used for produce. I guess they will either package everything, such as cherries or string beans or we will have to purchase reusable bags of some type.

  3. #3
    Super Moderator WaltVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Surf Club
    Posts
    4,833
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    I saw that the single use bags also include the bags used for produce. I guess they will either package everything, such as cherries or string beans or we will have to purchase reusable bags of some type.
    Perhaps Debbie Meyer green bags...


    0 2
     

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    54
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    I saw that the single use bags also include the bags used for produce. I guess they will either package everything, such as cherries or string beans or we will have to purchase reusable bags of some type.
    I do not think I have ever had decent produce, here or in the USA when it is prepackaged by the store...get it home and the underside is rotten, or worse yet...just happened, fingernail holes in the underside of the summer squash. No thanks...canned and frozen here I come!
    0 0
     

  5. #5
    Senior Member brady bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,021
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wonder what the food trucks will used; or to go at beaches and etc
    Can't use your fingers to eat everything.
    0 0
     

  6. #6
    Senior Member coldsteel337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The less crowded beaches & the Dutch bars
    Posts
    285
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am wondering about the balloons. There are locals fishing everyday using balloons. The balloons enable them to get the bait up to 400 yards offshore. It is known that balloons are a hazard to turtles in particular.
    0 0
     

  7. #7
    Senior Member robin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Oceania, north side
    Posts
    3,121
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brady bear View Post
    Wonder what the food trucks will used; or to go at beaches and etc
    Can't use your fingers to eat everything.
    They make cardboard like containers and I know they do make biodegradable utensils because I saw these in Aruba already. There is a business on the road that takes you the back way into Super Foods(Caya Ritmo) that has all those type of products advertised in their windows.

  8. #8
    Senior Member brady bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,021
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    They make cardboard like containers and I know they do make biodegradable utensils because I saw these in Aruba already. There is a business on the road that takes you the back way into Super Foods(Caya Ritmo) that has all those type of products advertised in their windows.

    thanks I look forward to a "local" food truck lunch.
    0 0
     

  9. #9
    Senior Member Traceyd14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Under a palapa on Palm beach
    Posts
    4,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let me be clear, I fully appreciate this ban and think it is forward thinking. The only issue I see is with timing with the virus. Even at home cringe thinking how sanitized reusable cups and glasses at beach bars are getting, (or not getting).
    1 0
     

  10. #10
    Senior Member robin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Oceania, north side
    Posts
    3,121
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    Let me be clear, I fully appreciate this ban and think it is forward thinking. The only issue I see is with timing with the virus. Even at home cringe thinking how sanitized reusable cups and glasses at beach bars are getting, (or not getting).
    I have seen recyclable or compostable cups used in Aruba, specifically at the bar at LaCabana, made out of some type of "plastic" made of corn.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •