This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk trip prep

Post Thanks / Like

Let's talk trip prep

What is the most helpful item you bring from home?
    What do you bring that you wish you would have left at home?
    What type of packer are you - do you try to bring smaller/fewer bags or are you more concerned with convenience?
    What's your best packing tip?
    What's your biggest headache?

Here's my situation today:
    Helpful items that take up too much space but we need them: soft-sided cooler, water jug and drink cups for the beach (similar to yeti but not brand name)

I usually bring too many clothes.

My husband would take a bookbag of stuff and be perfectly happy. I on the other hand want to pack every item that we may possibly want to have during our trip.

My packing tip: split up your clothes 1/2 his, 1/2 hers (please use the appropriate pronouns for your situation, these are ours) in each bag in case one goes missing.

My biggest headache is snorkel gear. Our fins take up so much space, we have a full size rolling duffle with shorty wet suits, fins, masks, etc.

I also do not like packing in phases, I like to have everything laid out and get it all done so I know I got everything and I don't have to worry about adding things in later. My plan was to pack Wednesday. My husband wanted to start today to prove to me we could make do with 1 checked bag and one carry on. I'm not convinced - mainly because of the snorkel stuff and liquids.

So what's your trip prep like?
    Last edited by Traceyd14; 11-22-2020 at 02:12 PM.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I just wish I did not have to check a bag but I bring a lot of items I can't bring on carry on such as sun tan spray, mosquito reppellent, shaving razor, Perfume, etc, a few laundry pads to wash clothes etc. I used to overpack but I got that down back. If it wasn't because I have to take on carry on a CPAP Machine, I might be able to take a carryon and try to buy stuff I need over there or get smaller size shaving cream etc. I do like to pack in stages and then do a one last review to make sure I did not overpack.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    my plan includes much stressing and 2nd guessing.
    we make a list and try to follow it.

I have no real tips and I have a headache.

I do not like packing in phases either, where as Paul has got stuff scattered from our bedroom to our dining room.
    I do not do well with scattered mess.

we are not taking our fins/snorkel gear due to the fact that I am still hurting from tendonitis in my right leg/calf/hamstring

the clothes are the easy part as we live in a warm climate and I just move stuff from one drawer or from the closet directly to the bag.
    we bring 2 rolling duffels and we do divide the clothing up in case one of the bags gets lost.

we have so much booze at home, this trip we moved baileys and coconut rum into some rum runner flasks which we will pack. (see rum runners on amazon)
    we bring 10 8z and bring 4 16 oz too.

Paul just asked me if we needed to bring some AAA batteries. I said sure. He said is 12 enough? omg, 2 is more than enough.
    will post a photo of the dining room table which is a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Traceyd14 View Post
    What is the most helpful item you bring from home?
    What do you bring that you wish you would have left at home?
    What type of packer are you - do you try to bring smaller/fewer bags or are you more concerned with convenience?
    What's your best packing tip?
    What's your biggest headache?

Here's my situation today:
    Helpful items that take up too much space but we need them: soft-sided cooler, water jug and drink cups for the beach (similar to yeti but not brand name)

I usually bring too many clothes.

My husband would take a bookbag of stuff and be perfectly happy. I on the other hand want to pack every item that we may possible want to have during our trip.

My packing tip: split up your clothes 1/2 his, 1/2 hers in each bag in case one goes missing.

My biggest headache is snorkel gear. Our fins take up so much space, we have a full size rolling duffle with shorty wet suits, fins, masks, etc.

I also do not like packing in phases, I like to have everything laid out and get it all done so I know I got everything and I don't have to worry about adding things in later. My plan was to pack Wednesday. My husband wanted to start today to prove to me we could make do with 1 checked bag and one carry on. I'm not convinced - mainly because of the snorkel stuff and liquids.

So what's your trip prep like?

November 26 - December 10 Photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/K6JFHPUx18oB69Nh7
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered 2 new dresses for the evening and got a shipping delayed notice so I'm hoping the package still arrives by Wednesday. That part of the reason I didn't want to start packing yet.

Andrea, I'm laughing at the batteries. But hey, you never know!

I did buy an organizer for our chargers. I think it work well, I probably should go mess around with it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077YW64D4...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Ace, I'm with you on the liquids. I would make more of an effort to travel with carry on only if it weren't for the liquid restrictions.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a checklist on my iPad and adjust it accordingly after each trip at that seems to work for us. Usually we manage with one carryon bag between the two of us and two checked bags. I always weigh them before we leave and they never seem to be over 30 pounds

The most helpful things from home are; a collapsible travel electric kettle. While most rooms have coffee service it seems when I heat water for tea it always tastes like coffee. This little kettle works perfectly for me. I also like to bring along a few ziplock bags to keep snacks fresh.

What I should leave home are extra pairs of sandals. I always end up wearing the same one or two pairs.

I do like your packing tip for his and her clothes in each bag!

Aruba always seems easier for me to pack for as it’s either shorts and a top or bathing attire so I don’t stress much. I do, however, lay everything out a few days prior to packing.

0 1

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Post Thanks / Like
    We take our snorkeling gear with us and I agree that it does take up a lot of room. We also take a cooler, a beach bag, and a special bag for the snorkeling gear, along with a few grocery items that are hard to find on the island. I take less and less clothes every trip, but still don't end up wearing everything that I take. I've thought about hiring a timeshare bin storage company, and leaving the snorkeling stuff there, but we do use it when we cruise (although I have no idea when I'll be comfortable cruising again). I like to pack all at once but I usually start piling stuff all around the spare bedroom about 3 weeks ahead of time.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
    We take our snorkeling gear with us and I agree that it does take up a lot of room. We also take a cooler, a beach bag, and a special bag for the snorkeling gear, along with a few grocery items that are hard to find on the island. I take less and less clothes every trip, but still don't end up wearing everything that I take. I've thought about hiring a timeshare bin storage company, and leaving the snorkeling stuff there, but we do use it when we cruise (although I have no idea when I'll be comfortable cruising again). I like to pack all at once but I usually start piling stuff all around the spare bedroom about 3 weeks ahead of time.
    We are very similar in our way of doing things. We bring a few favorite snacks that pack easily and Gatorade powder drink mix to make a pitcher in the room with Aruba water - it just tastes better to us that way. We also pack Pedialyte popsicles to throw in the freezer when we get there - it's a great way to hydrate in the afternoon.

We just had the very same conversation about looking into a timeshare bin storage company but also may be cruising next summer and would hate to not have our own stuff. We've also been talking about a trip to the Florida keys for a few years and never know when we will be planning a long weekend away.
    0 0

Senior Member B Likes To Travel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use a list. I always bring more clothes and sandals than I need, but I know it will never change. I bring a checked bag and usually have space on the way there. I typically buy souvenirs, shirts, and goodies from the grocery store to bring back so it helps. I’d say my beach blanket takes up more room than most single items, but I really like having it.

The hardest part is getting the toiletries together. It always has to be the last thing because I often bring a few items I use at home, in addition to the travel sized things I bought.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by B Likes To Travel View Post

The hardest part is getting the toiletries together. It always has to be the last thing because I often bring a few items I use at home, in addition to the travel sized things I bought.
    I agree with this. I tend to just buy specifically for the trip but this year I had things on hand and don't want to make unnecessary trips to the store. Medications is another one, can't forget but don't want to pack too soon. And new for me this year, I started wearing contacts sometimes so I have to get that all together too.
    0 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    The cluttered mess on the dining room table.
    Good thing is that we have a table pad on the table as one of the batteries was leaking

Since our last trip to aruba in Nov 2019, we had been on 3 cruises so our packing was very different than aruba packing.

We are usually never this disorganized.
    I blame it on Covid.
    Covid has us in a state of a) laziness b) lackadaisical c) confusion d) puppy nonsense e) all of the above
    Also, the testing and the worry of the scheduling has got me unusually preoccupied.

So, here is our mess in the dining room.
    (not to be confused with the mess in my 3rd bedroom/craft room)

Let's talk trip prep-screen-shot-2020-11-22-2-47-38-pm-jpg

November 26 - December 10 Photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/K6JFHPUx18oB69Nh7
    0 0