This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Our trip to Super Foods today

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Our trip to Super Foods today

    We are in Aruba on an extended visit and we wondered if any of the panic buying in the US might have spilled over to Aruba. When we entered the parking lot at Super Foods there weren't many cars. Then we saw the long line of people with grocery carts waiting to get in. We waited in line for ten minutes. When we entered the store it wan't very crowded and the shelves were fully stocked. Then we realized that the purpose of the line was to ensure "social distancing." There were signs and frequent announcements advising shoppers to keep a five foot distance from each other. We were able to find everything on our list. They also announced that they are opening at 7:30 for customers 65 and older. The "early bird" for seniors is from 7:30-9:30.
    1 1
     

  2. #2
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    35,880
    Post Thanks / Like
    thank you for posting.

    glad to read that SuperFoods is doing its part in keeping everyone distanced and keeping the shelves stocked.

    how long do plan on remaining in Aruba?

    I think that we'd be very interested in reading your stories if you get a chance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mohair View Post
    We are in Aruba on an extended visit and we wondered if any of the panic buying in the US might have spilled over to Aruba. When we entered the parking lot at Super Foods there weren't many cars. Then we saw the long line of people with grocery carts waiting to get in. We waited in line for ten minutes. When we entered the store it wan't very crowded and the shelves were fully stocked. Then we realized that the purpose of the line was to ensure "social distancing." There were signs and frequent announcements advising shoppers to keep a five foot distance from each other. We were able to find everything on our list. They also announced that they are opening at 7:30 for customers 65 and older. The "early bird" for seniors is from 7:30-9:30.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0
     

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    102
    Post Thanks / Like
    We will be here until May 4. I will try to come up with some interesting observations!
    0 1
     

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    224
    Post Thanks / Like
    The panic buy spilled over from the Netherlands as Europe was heavily affected before the US. When people saw those videos and then the border closure here, people ran for the supermarkets. Its died down though as the wholesalers have pretty much guaranteed continued supply. Many people have already stocked up for an emergency so the buying has gone back to "normal".

    People here are just worried that the US will get hit harder than anywhere else based on the initial response by the federal government. We worry about that because that will have a direct effect on whether Aruba can quickly recover or not.
    0 0
     

  5. #5
    Senior Member coldsteel337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    The less crowded beaches & the Dutch bars
    Posts
    276
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was at Super foods yesterday also. They will not allow you into the store unless you take a shopping cart. They have also suspended you having to insert a coin into the slot to get and return the cart, Lings is operating a bit differently, Before you can enter, they take your temperature with a scanner and spray your hands with some sort of alcohol and also spray and dry the hand bar on the cart. There is another, smaller market up the road from Super foods. They are limiting the amount of people in the store at any given time. You line up outside and as one or two people exit, one or two people can enter, Superfoods also is doing this.
    0 1
     

  6. #6
    Senior Member LeaveTheKidsWithMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Natural Pool
    Posts
    407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Arawak View Post

    People here are just worried that the US will get hit harder than anywhere else based on the initial response by the federal government.
    Please don't go there and stop watching CNN.



    1 1
     

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    224
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LeaveTheKidsWithMom View Post
    Please don't go there and stop watching CNN.
    I don't watch CNN and have been following the Virus since before it got bad in Europe. I didn't "go anywhere" with that statement. Remember, the political divide(or media divide) you might or might not have in the states is not relevant to me when talking about the virus. To even say stop watching CNN, when you have no clue where I get my information from, speaks volumes.

    If you want to talk about the statistics, I can share my information with you from official sources. Not from cable news.
    Last edited by Arawak; 03-22-2020 at 05:15 PM.
    3 5
     

  8. #8
    Senior Member LisaGrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    597
    Post Thanks / Like
    We'll be back, don't you worry about that, Arawak! I'll buy you a cocktail at Pega Pega when I come in September.

    People here are just worried that the US will get hit harder than anywhere else based on the initial response by the federal government. We worry about that because that will have a direct effect on whether Aruba can quickly recover or not.[/QUOTE]


    0 0
     

  9. #9
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    35,880
    Post Thanks / Like
    yup

    Aruba will not open their borders til North America, S America and Europe have "flattened" the curve.

    You betcha we will be back.
    That is for damn sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaGrn View Post
    We'll be back, don't you worry about that, Arawak! I'll buy you a cocktail at Pega Pega when I come in September. ������������

    People here are just worried that the US will get hit harder than anywhere else based on the initial response by the federal government. We worry about that because that will have a direct effect on whether Aruba can quickly recover or not.
    [/QUOTE]
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 1
     

  10. #10
    Senior Member cpjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Glitz Casino, Manchebo Beach Resort
    Posts
    5,317
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    yup

    Aruba will not open their borders til North America, S America and Europe have "flattened" the curve.

    You betcha we will be back.
    That is for damn sure.
    .....and when that happens, I expect to have to provide a doctor's 'OK to travel note' and fill out a detailed travel questionnaire and get my temp taken at both ends of the flight.... and Yup.... I'll comply!
    0 1
     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •