This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "Right Thing" to do

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like

The "Right Thing" to do

I am in a FB group (LaCabana) and I posted the situation that Paul and I are in.

I believe that the "right thing" to do is a refund.
    Most of the trip insurances EXCLUDE "pandemic"

Anyway, here is my posting on that FB and the replies.
    I turned off the commenting there as sometimes those FB pages get ugly as there are often free for alls.

I look forward to your comments.

As a timeshare owner, I certainly WOULD refund as the product that I rented to someone would be unavailable.
    If you as owner cannot deliver, a refund is in order.

So, if you are a home owner, condo owner or timeshare owner what are your thoughts?

Andrea
    6 hrs
    4th Virus patient confirmed in AUA, but I have no further info other than the 3 prior are making progress and are comfortable and in good condition.
    Mods, if you feel you have to delete the following, have at it.
    We have reservations April 30 thru May 14. We rented thru 2 owners and just by chance it is the same unit.
    We have trip insurance, but global pandemic is an exclusion.
    Our flights are on miles so those miles can be dropped back into our accounts.
    I contacted both owners and told them of my situation. One of the owners offered me my rent $ back for the April 30 check in, with no penalty. For that we are grateful and WILL rent from these fine folks next year.
    The other owner for the 2nd week, did not offer and that is her/his prerogative. I respect these folks and hope to rent from them next year too.
    We have yet to cancel the 2nd week (the one where we'd lose the $). We may keep that unit and try to rent a unit after that one beginning May 14. (If Aruba is open for business)
    We are not wealthy people by any stretch of the imagination, so losing $ is a bitter pill to swallow.
    There is no way I believe that LaCabana is responsible for my reimbursement.
    I believe that the owner that is refunding us, is doing above and beyond.

We are all feeling all feeling your pain
    Hide or report this
    o Like
    o · 6h
    Great comments and you are one of the few people on here that makes common sense !
    Hide or report this
    o Like
    o · 6h
    To me it is so interesting people NOT wanting to refund our money. Why? Not our fault
    Hide or report this
    o Like
    o · 6h
    I refunded the money it’s the right thing to do, the total amount
    Hide or report this
    o Like
    o · 6h
    Both my son and my parents have lost their cost for rooms end of March... I hoping that the owners would split the cost at the very least! Both offered nothing kind of sad
    Hide or report this
    o Sad
    o · 5h
    Prayers to the sick in Aruba
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 03-18-2020 at 04:30 PM.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I reached out to the person that I rented my 2nd week from and kindly asked if he would consider refunding IF we have to cancel. I have not received a response yet and I’m not feeling very hopeful that he will oblige. I know I would provide full refund if the tables were turned but not all folks have the same values. IF we have to cancel, I’m already out my maintenance fee as a Playa Linda has fixed units and we cannot trade for another week later in the year.

1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    My feeling is that the “right thing” would be to refund the money. However, I also recognize that this crisis could not possibly have been foreseen and is also a burden on the owners so, if it were me, I would be okay with splitting the difference.

For the most part, resorts seem to be handling cancellations fairly. Both Manchebo and Renaissance have offered a 24 hour cancellation window. We have yet to cancel. JetBlue still has a April 30th cutoff for the cancellation waiver so if they don’t expand it we’ll have to pay the cancellation fee if it’s a no go.

‘Insurance polices, well ... there always seems to be a loop hole so they don’t have to pay.

1 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I have rented a unit from an owner I have heard nothing from. I really doubt that they will be reimbursing me my money if we are still not able to go in May. I am more disturbed by the money I will lose at the Divi AI.
    Jayna-Beach Bum at ❤️
    0 0

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Post Thanks / Like
    I own a week and I rent a week. My husband and I have discussed this, and we agree that we would refund all of the money. We have offered the use of our extra bedroom to strangers at Costa Linda several times when flights have been cancelled due to blizzards back home, and when asked what we are charging, we tell them it's free. I understand that people want to recoup their maintenance fee, and I think that's fair, but I think that they should at least give the renters back any money over that amount. When we rent a week, we fully understand that it is non refundable, but these are extraordinary circumstances. A little kindness goes a long way.

1 3

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that the names of those who refuse to refund some or all of the monies should be posted publicly. I would never rent from them in the best of times. They need to remember karma is a bi$%h.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    I completely agree with you Walt. These are not ordinary circumstances.They need to step up and do the right thing.

0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted this on a Playa Linda discussion about this topic today. Playa Linda are fixed weeks, so those owners cannot change their week.

Here's my post: I'm a renter - I know this is not the popular opinion, but I rent at a lower rate than I can get a hotel room. I rent so that I don't have the commitment of the upfront purchase or the annual fees. There are perks to renting. BUT I rent and get all of the perks of a rental on the condition that it is non refundable. I know this when I send my check to the owner. I do think owners should give back any charges above their maintenance fees, but this is not something the owner has any control over. If you want a fully refundable reservation - get a hotel room with a favorable cancellation fee - there are plenty of them. But you will pay more and get less. It's the trade off for renting. That's just my perspective.
    1 1

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    everyone's opinion is valued
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    everyone's opinion is valued
    Thank you. The more I think about it, I have also put myself in the role of the owner. I would refund at least half of my out of pocket cost plus anything over the maintenance fee. I think I would offer the renter the option of a credit for next year if I was planning on renting again, in that case the renter is still getting something for their money and the owner can plan for the lost revenue the next year, easing the immediate burden.

I hate this for those of you with upcoming trips and big potential losses.
    0 0