This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: Tourist drowns at Shark Bay

Post Thanks / Like

Tourist drowns at Shark Bay

News a few days old but I don't see it posted yet.

Very sad. Just 29 years old.

https://english.24ora.com/2021/05/28...-at-shark-bay/

STAY SAFE DISTANCE FROM THE CLIFFS. If you trip and hit your head, it's over.
    Last edited by __steve__; 06-05-2021 at 08:14 PM.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    That's terribly sad. No way I would enter the water on that side. My one and done at Natural Pool was enough to convince me of that. Really sorry for the young ladies family.

0 0

The less crowded beaches & the Dutch bars
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very sad news. My heart goes out to her family.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest thing for me here is that we assume we are safer on a tour. I read a statement on another forum from someone claiming to be an eye witness; she stated that one group was told certain instructions about navigating the waters and areas to avoid, while the other group wasn't, resulting in tragedy. A few things go through my mind, was the tour guide having an off day? Did the guide tell the group, but they were having fun and not paying attention? It makes me think, how many times have we relied on a guide to tell us what we can and can't do, and were they just telling us what they thought we wanted to hear to give us the best experience? I don't take many risks, but my husband does. Fortunately we both grew up on boats, at beaches, and always in and around water so we have a lot of respect for the power. But some don't have the same experience, and are really relying on guidance.
    The best trip is the next trip. Anxiously waiting to book something.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely ridiculous that they were swimming there.

Shark Bay is a bodyboarders beach and you need to specifically know what the hell you are doing. When it gets too rough, you can't enter from the beach. "Too rough" mind you is subjective and what one person can go through dsn't mean the other can do the same. When the sea is too rough, bodyboarders "time it" between swells/waves and jump from the cliff. It's a very specific spot you jump from, not just anywhere. With just two or three strokes you are safe and in the "lineup". To swim there without a board and without any type of experience... I can't even.
    1 1

Post Thanks / Like
    So sad. A few years ago the natural bridge became unstable. I did a tour with Bully and saw some people still walking on it in order to take pictures. I said to Bully is that safe? He said no it is not and don't get any ideas! LOL
    0 1