This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide

Thread: Travel Insurance (not the Aruba Mandatory)

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like

Travel Insurance (not the Aruba Mandatory)

I have been checking out travel insurance policies for our November trip.
    Actually looking since May.

I am always promoting Insuremytrip.com.
    They have always been great and we have gotten some good rates and good policies.

I have been unable to find a reasonably priced and good coverage policy on insuremytrip, because we want to add in covid coverage.
    (the mandatory covid that we buy for the Aruba stay is only for "when in Aruba coverage") If we have to cancel due to covid before we leave for Aruba, this is the policy that I am talking about.

I found better selection at Squaremouth.com and bought a Nationwide policy with adequate coverage, including covid.

Check out Squaremouth.

​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    3 3

Senior Member B Likes To Travel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Andrea.

I have been looking at polices as well. Due to the flexible cancellations with the flight and accommodations, I’ve stepped away from “cancel for any reason” coverage and have refocused on the usual coverage I would buy. I’d been waiting on clarification on Prestige’s “temporary modified cancellation policy” and I am happy with it.

If I had booked a timeshare, like you, I’d certainly want Covid coverage.
    thank you for sharing this resource.

I may consider coming down for Christmas if the right timeshare unit pops up.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was younger, I didn't feel the need for travel insurance, but as a senior citizen, I always get it now. I'm a klutz and I tend to mis-step and trip. I can't catch myself like I used to. Medicare doesn't cover you outside of the U.S. I've never needed the insurance, and I hope I never will, but I will always have it...just in case.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    absolutely correct Bhoff.

also too there are other coverages..... such as trip delay reimbursement, luggage benefits, emergency medical evacuation, dental emergencies etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bhoffdhoff View Post
    When I was younger, I didn't feel the need for travel insurance, but as a senior citizen, I always get it now. I'm a klutz and I tend to mis-step and trip. I can't catch myself like I used to. Medicare doesn't cover you outside of the U.S. I've never needed the insurance, and I hope I never will, but I will always have it...just in case.

​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    People sometimes don’t realize their health insurance may not cover them out of the country. I always look for a policy that covers preexisting conditions. In this climate of all things COVID those policies can be expensive. You really do need to read the fine print and take your time when choosing.

Fortunately, we have only had one trip that was cancelled and I had to file a claim. The insurance was through Expedia and the process was pretty painless. We were 100% refunded within two weeks of filing.

1 1

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the great tips. Insurance is very important young or old while traveling.
    Learned from other misfortunes.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    I went through Insubuy again for this trip. I did notice Nationwide was one of the carriers on their list when I put in my preferences.
    ​Laura from NH/Divi Village
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for this post - went to squaremouth and found a policy I liked with Travelex. I had been putting it off, but needed to get it done. I have 15 days to change my mind...LOL. Young or old, insurance is a must. Anything can happen - a broken bone, a kidney stone, the flu,...you just never know. We started buying insurance when my husband's father was very ill and we wanted the interruption or cancellation coverage in case we needed to get home.
    I like the lay out of that site - transparency for add-ons. I added adventure sports coverage since Jon dives and sometimes just likes to do crazy things - and the cost to add it was minimal.
    0 1