This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Trip Insurance

Post Thanks / Like

Trip Insurance

I am posting this under General for Aruba because I am posting it because of two recent stories I heard of emergency medical situations that did not occur in Aruba. I can't imagine what would happen if these people did not have insurance. Anything can happen at any time anywhere.

1) A person on one of sister ships of the one I was recently on had an appendicitis on the ship 100 km off the coast of Antarctica. They turned the ship around and went back to Ushuaia, Argentina-the weather conditions(15-18 foot swells) would not allow a transfer to a different ship or to a helicopter. I don't know the details, put we do know the person is okay. Imagine the cost of having emergency surgery in a remote area of the world and the cost of a helicopter to do a sea rescue if needed. AND, everyone on the ship who did not get to complete their trip to Antarctica. (yes, the cruise line is taking care of them, but not everyone will be able to take advantage of their offer and will need to use trip interruption insurance).

2) A friend of a relative of ours was on a cruise ship in France in port and had a heart attack on the ship. They saved her life there and transferred her to a hospital. She had two surgeries and her husband was in a hotel for a good week. Then they had to find their own way home after she was released.

So, the moral of the stories-make sure you have health coverage and trip interruption coverage when traveling. I know Aruba does not accept outside health insurance and you have to pay before you leave the hospital and get reimbursed, which can be difficult, but imagine not getting any of that covered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, and get the trip cancelation insurance for any reason....I am sure I will lose some cash with my 2 upcoming cancelations. I will get all back for our stay at the 1st spot and have not even paid for the second one yet. Our air is a combo of points that will be returned and sadly many thousand in a credit for Jetblue...still better than a loss a total loss. Its a good lesson for me and others.

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    I am posting this under General for Aruba because I am posting it because of two recent stories I heard of emergency medical situations that did not occur in Aruba. I can't imagine what would happen if these people did not have insurance. Anything can happen at any time anywhere.

1) A person on one of sister ships of the one I was recently on had an appendicitis on the ship 100 km off the coast of Antarctica. They turned the ship around and went back to Ushuaia, Argentina-the weather conditions(15-18 foot swells) would not allow a transfer to a different ship or to a helicopter. I don't know the details, put we do know the person is okay. Imagine the cost of having emergency surgery in a remote area of the world and the cost of a helicopter to do a sea rescue if needed. AND, everyone on the ship who did not get to complete their trip to Antarctica. (yes, the cruise line is taking care of them, but not everyone will be able to take advantage of their offer and will need to use trip interruption insurance).

2) A friend of a relative of ours was on a cruise ship in France in port and had a heart attack on the ship. They saved her life there and transferred her to a hospital. She had two surgeries and her husband was in a hotel for a good week. Then they had to find their own way home after she was released.

So, the moral of the stories-make sure you have health coverage and trip interruption coverage when traveling. I know Aruba does not accept outside health insurance and you have to pay before you leave the hospital and get reimbursed, which can be difficult, but imagine not getting any of that covered.
    Trip 38 booked for Feb! Cant wait.

0 0