This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Use of AirBand Radios in nAruba?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like

    Use of AirBand Radios in Aruba?

    Hi all

    Well the Wife and myself are on countdown to our trip to Aruba, we leave for a few days in Atlanta this coming Friday then onto two weeks in paradise 8-).

    I am an Aviation Photographer and I often use an Airband receiver to alert me when something of particular interest is arriving or departing so I don't miss an opportunity. I just wanted to find out before I arrive if the use of these is permitted in Aruba, It was purchased from Frys Electrical in Houston so is US legal but I don't want to bring it only to get it confiscated?

    Thanks in advance folks.

    Daryl
    Last edited by darylbarber2003; 09-01-2013 at 06:49 PM.
    0 0
     

  2. #2
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    34,261
    Post Thanks / Like
    welcome daryl to the aruba.com community forum

    i cannot imagine that it would be confiscated

    here is the link to the queen beatrix airport, maybe you should write to them and ask?
    http://www.airportaruba.com/home_inf...Q==&catid=NTI=
    let is know

    Quote Originally Posted by darylbarber2003 View Post
    Hi all

    Well the Wife and myself are on countdown to our trip to Aruba, we leave for a few days in Atlanta this coming Friday then onto two weeks in paradise 8-).

    I am an Aviation Photographer and I often use an Airband receiver to alert me when something of particular interest is arriving or departing so I don't miss an opportunity. I just wanted to find out before I arrive if the use of these is permitted in Aruba, It was purchased from Frys Electrical in Houston so is US legal but I don't want to bring it only to get it confiscated?

    Thanks in advance folks.

    Daryl
    0 0
     

  3. #3
    Senior Member Arubalisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Any Aruba beach...
    Posts
    13,137
    Post Thanks / Like
    If San Nic were around he would know. Doesn't he have his pilot's license?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks folks, I have used the link to ask the Airport this question, I will let you know what they say 8-)

    Daryl
    0 0
     

  5. #5
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    34,261
    Post Thanks / Like
    i have also forwarded this thread link on to dan putkowski
    on this forum he is san nic44
    he pilots small planes and is a part time aruba resident
    he may have your answer
    good idea lisa!

    andrea
    Quote Originally Posted by darylbarber2003 View Post
    Thanks folks, I have used the link to ask the Airport this question, I will let you know what they say 8-)

    Daryl
    0 0
     

  6. #6
    Senior Member SanNic44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Savaneta
    Posts
    1,162
    Post Thanks / Like
    As far as I know you can LISTEN to the airband with no worries. Just don't TALK over it. Other than that you should be fine.

    44
    Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/
    0 0
     

  7. #7
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    34,261
    Post Thanks / Like
    thx dan!
    Quote Originally Posted by SanNic44 View Post
    As far as I know you can LISTEN to the airband with no worries. Just don't TALK over it. Other than that you should be fine.

    44
    0 0
     

  8. #8
    Senior Member qlaval's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    966
    Post Thanks / Like
    With a small search here's what I've found...

    There's a good spot by the side of the road that runs along the runway and past the terminal.
    You just drive off the street and there's a small shak you can sit under to take cover from the sunlight.

    Frequencies :
    Curacao Area control centre : 124.10
    Aruba Approach / Tower : 120.90
    Baetrix ground control : 121.60

    There's lots of charters flying into Aruba from the US east coast. Together with some scheds like Delta, Continental and American.

    Caracas:
    The only spot I know is the observation deck on top of the main international terminal.
    Frequencies : Maiquetia Approach : 120.10
    Maiquetia Tower : 118.10
    Maiquetia Ground : 121.90

    In Caracas you can find almost anything. From Aerolineas Argentinas (MD-80) to Lufthansa (A340).
    Pierre

    0 0
     

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advise, it is a receiver only so should be compliant then, I always try to find out before taking it abroad, even Europe varies from country to country. I have 20 hrs PPL in C-152 but its very expensive here in the uk as fuel is stupid expensive now days.

    Regards

    Daryl
    0 0
     

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    8
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    i have also forwarded this thread link on to dan putkowski
    on this forum he is san nic44
    he pilots small planes and is a part time aruba resident
    he may have your answer
    good idea lisa!

    andrea
    Thanks Andrea 8-)
    0 0
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •