This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: At What Age......... Restricted Freedom?

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like

At What Age......... Restricted Freedom?

Let's say you are a parent or legal guardian.
    You, your significant other and your 2 kids.......let's say 11 and 13 are in Aruba.
    What do you allow those kids to do without you?

Are they allowed to wander around the resort with you at location A and they are checking out locations B, C, D, E, F ?

Any pointers for parents/guardians?

When our son was younger, we always brought his friend Ben, with us all to Aruba. (Kevin is now 33)
    Ben was a great friend and travel buddy to Kevin.
    I think that the boys were 12ish when we gave them a fair amount of freedom (they were not allowed to enter ANY body of water without us)
    When they were about 13 or 14 we did allow them to take the bus downtown and "shop".

Your thoughts on kids being given certain restricted freedoms?
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 01-06-2020 at 12:10 AM.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Our son CJ just turned 10. He has grown up in Aruba and feels as comfortable in Aruba as he does at home....all that said we really don't extend him any extra freedom except when are on the Ritz property. At the Ritz property EVERYONE knows CJ and its like he has 100s of eyes watching him at all times. Even with that he just recently been allowed to walk the property a bit on his own. An example would be he can leave the Madero restaurant or the Divi Restaurant and walk to the kids club on his own, or he can tour some of the stores to see if any of his favorite people are working while we sit in the lobby. He likes to go get his own gelato after dinner as well....but again he is only 50 feet from us as we relax in the lobby as he gets his fix.

As far as kids 11-13 I would not be giving them much more freedom than we give our son currently. I would allow them to walk the property but not leave or go in the ocean without us. I think I am overprotective now to make up for all the times my mom let us do things I would never consider letting my son do. When I was 11 years old my mom let me do just about anything in the world....including walking in Boston at night thru Quincy Market on my own so I could get some pizza...it was well after 9pm and we were staying about half mile a way but my mom let me do it anyways. I remember crossing the roads and thinking this is not the best idea....but the freedom felt good and I was off to get Pizza Reginia pizza - best ever, lol.

I get really disappointed when I see young kids running around with zero supervision, its a recipe for a disaster IMO. To many parents take a vacation from parenting while on vacation.
    Last edited by Aruba4ever; 01-06-2020 at 02:34 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    yup, some take a parenting vacation.
    it is a very different world out there today.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba4ever View Post
    Our son CJ just turned 10. He has grown up in Aruba and feels as comfortable in Aruba as he does at home....all that said we really don't extend him any extra freedom except when are on the Ritz property. At the Ritz property EVERYONE knows CJ and its like he has 100s of eyes watching him at all times. Even with that he just recently been allowed to walk the property a bit on his own. An example would be he can leave the Madero restaurant or the Divi Restaurant and walk to the kids club on his own, or he can tour some of the stores to see if any of his favorite people are working while we sit in the lobby. He likes to go get his own gelato after dinner as well....but again he is only 50 feet from us as we relax in the lobby as he gets his fix.

As far as kids 11-13 I would not be giving them much more freedom than we give our son currently. I would allow them to walk the property but not leave or go in the ocean without us. I think I am overprotective now to make up for all the times my mom let us do things I would never consider letting my son do. When I was 11 years old my mom let me do just about anything in the world....including walking in Boston at night thru Quincy Market on my own so I could get some pizza...it was well after 9pm and we were staying about half mile a way but my mom let me do it anyways. I remember crossing the roads and thinking this is not the best idea....but the freedom felt good and I was off to get Pizza Reginia pizza - best ever, lol.

I get really disappointed when I see young kids running around with zero supervision, its a recipe for a disaster IMO. To many parents take a vacation from parenting while on vacation.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 0