This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Where to park for a Sunday morning cruise ship arrival.

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Post Thanks / Like

Where to park for a Sunday morning cruise ship arrival.

Good evening everyone on this very rainy Friday night in Winnipeg,

The subject line says most of it, but here are a few details.

Friends of ours are arriving into Aruba on a Sunday morning (October 23 to be precise) on board a cruise ship and they would like to meet me, and hopefully have a mid-morning brunch.

Where would be a good place to park near to the pier so I could hopefully find them? I would suggest that they stand near Kay Jewelers, which is a prominent store, but I just need a place to park without getting into difficulty with the Aruba Parking Authority or the local taxi drivers and tour operators.

Sunday, as has been my experience, is pretty quiet in O'stad with minimum stores open. Any ideas?

I was thinking for a meal, the Dutch Pancake House. I think there about 6 of them altogether, so there is no way I want to be a shuttle driver taking them all over the place. Hopefully a couple of them may take an island tour.

Any help my good friends here can give would be appreciated.

Regards,

Glenn
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    when we have met people from the cruises in town, we aways parked at the Seaport Marketplace in the back near the Pancake House and Casa Tua.
    they walked over to the Marina area and meet us. we'd stand along the boardwalk at the marina.

you will not be able to get close to the ship...........you will not be able to make it thru their security area.
    you will be able to get as far as the tour buses that are parked outside of the secure area.
    it will be very congested in that area with buses and taxis.

probably the best place for you to park is the free parking near the vendor flea mkt stands along the water side. there is parking near there all the way down to where one buys tickets to the Atlantis submarine.
    you can then cross the street, and sit on the bench near the shops and they meet you there.

I hope someone can give you more clear ideas/solution.
    I am kind of shooting from the hip.

It is infrequent that cruise ships stop in Aruba on a Sunday, but I know they do every so often.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Good evening everyone on this very rainy Friday night in Winnipeg,

The subject line says most of it, but here are a few details.

Friends of ours are arriving into Aruba on a Sunday morning (October 23 to be precise) on board a cruise ship and they would like to meet me, and hopefully have a mid-morning brunch.

Where would be a good place to park near to the pier so I could hopefully find them? I would suggest that they stand near Kay Jewelers, which is a prominent store, but I just need a place to park without getting into difficulty with the Aruba Parking Authority or the local taxi drivers and tour operators.

Sunday, as has been my experience, is pretty quiet in O'stad with minimum stores open. Any ideas?

I was thinking for a meal, the Dutch Pancake House. I think there about 6 of them altogether, so there is no way I want to be a shuttle driver taking them all over the place. Hopefully a couple of them may take an island tour.

Any help my good friends here can give would be appreciated.

Regards,

Glenn
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? sidtm
    1 0

Since 1980, and throughout the many changes, we still love going downtown in Oranjestad.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good morning Andrea,

Parking at Seaport Marketplace was my first choice. I know the area well, and used to park there often after dropping Donna off at the shops near Little Switzerland. I'll probably go with that then walk over to the area near Kay's Jewelers. It's easy to spot, for them and me.

You're right, Sunday is not often a cruise ship day into Aruba, and the choice of stores that might be open maybe limited to some of the vendors in the flea market.

It's kind of funny. One of our friends asks me about sightseeing and to be frank, Donna and I never went for the sightseeing. We loved relaxing there, eating in any variety of restaurants, and often, just doing nothing. Hopefully, they (or at least some of them) will take an island tour. It is an all day stop which again, for a Sunday, is unusual.

Thanks again Andrea.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    when we have met people from the cruises in town, we aways parked at the Seaport Marketplace in the back near the Pancake House and Casa Tua.
    they walked over to the Marina area and meet us. we'd stand along the boardwalk at the marina.

you will not be able to get close to the ship...........you will not be able to make it thru their security area.
    you will be able to get as far as the tour buses that are parked outside of the secure area.
    it will be very congested in that area with buses and taxis.

probably the best place for you to park is the free parking near the vendor flea mkt stands along the water side. there is parking near there all the way down to where one buys tickets to the Atlantis submarine.
    you can then cross the street, and sit on the bench near the shops and they meet you there.

I hope someone can give you more clear ideas/solution.
    I am kind of shooting from the hip.

It is infrequent that cruise ships stop in Aruba on a Sunday, but I know they do every so often.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you have a solid plan, Glenn. Do the shop owners make exceptions and open on Sundays if a ship is in?
    I want to grow my own food, but I can't find any bacon seeds...
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    As Walt said… sounds like a plan!
    Walt.. I do not know if they open.
    I know there is a Sunday in November when there are 2 ships in.
    Those Sunday visits are usually 10+ day cruises.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Good morning Andrea,

Parking at Seaport Marketplace was my first choice. I know the area well, and used to park there often after dropping Donna off at the shops near Little Switzerland. I'll probably go with that then walk over to the area near Kay's Jewelers. It's easy to spot, for them and me.

You're right, Sunday is not often a cruise ship day into Aruba, and the choice of stores that might be open maybe limited to some of the vendors in the flea market.

It's kind of funny. One of our friends asks me about sightseeing and to be frank, Donna and I never went for the sightseeing. We loved relaxing there, eating in any variety of restaurants, and often, just doing nothing. Hopefully, they (or at least some of them) will take an island tour. It is an all day stop which again, for a Sunday, is unusual.

Thanks again Andrea.

Glenn
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? sidtm
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    PreCovid we picked up couples visiting via cruise ship. I've parked by the flea market across the street. I think it is a florin to park in that area and had them meet us at the "I Love Aruba Sign". I did a screen shot, but I can't get it to upload.

However; you need to know which terminal they will be coming into. This works for the ones right in town, but the larger ships are brought a little further north-across from the car dealership.