This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wifi Calling

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Post Thanks / Like

Wifi Calling

I have read a few facebook posts about wifi calling. Has anyone tried it? I use wifi calling in my house because my fairly new Samsung Galaxy phone doesn't like the new cell tower that is just a few blocks from my house. We have Verizon and activated the 24 hr. international calling plan last year. With the wifi calling, do you keep your phone in airplane mode? I understand that you have to be in range of wifi for it to work. At Costa Linda I purchase the wifi plan for two devices (we usually use our tablets), but I'm guessing that I will need to disconnect a tablet and connect the phone to make calls. Any help and advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by hatteras; 01-29-2020 at 01:04 PM.

0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    you can make wifi calls as long as you are connected to the internet.
    with the verizon plan, you would make sure you are "not" in airplane mode.

if not using the verizon plan and only using wifi, keep the phone in airplane mode

if you are going to be using wifi calling and have facebook for messaging and audio calls, there is no need to spend $ on Verizon international.

if you have to "pay for wifi" at Costa Linda........check out the data plans for Setar it may be less expensive and will give you internet all over the island.
    ​In a world where you can be anything, be kind!
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    We have used WiFi calling on the island numerous times from the condo with excellent results, other areas not so much or at all. If you have good WiFi service you should be OK. Make sure you turn WiFi calling on and update the emergency address, before you leave the country. I tried to do it once while on the island and it wouldn’t allow it. Never looked into it any further. This next trip we’re bringing an older unlocked iPhone and getting a SIM card for it.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Whatsapp is really nice for making free wifi calls. I've used it all over the globe and really like it both for making calls and receiving them. No SIM cards, no International fees, just good ole phone and video chatting via wifi. Just make sure you have the phone numbers you want to call in the app and the folks you'll be calling have the app installed. It's free.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    We use WhatApp all of the time too, to call contacts that also use the app. Now that we have a car, we're carrying the additional phone with a local SIM card, for emergencies, if we break down on the road or to call others locally, that aren't using the WhatsApp.

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY http://www.pearlarubacondos.com/. SEND PM BEFORE BOOKING FOR REFERRAL.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    This is so bizarre! A friend just told me about whatsapp last week. She uses it to stay in touch with her folks when they are in Aruba. I just downloaded it yesterday and plan to use it when I go in September.

0 0

The less crowded beaches & the Dutch bars
    Post Thanks / Like
    We use WhatsAPP every week to call Europe and Asia & have been using it on Aruba for about 5 years. It works well as long as you have decent WiFi. We even use it for video calling. It sure beats the $3 a minute I used to pay in the 1970's to make the same calls.
    0 1

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, keep it on WiFi and airplane mode or your calls will drop out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    We have used WiFi calling on the island numerous times from the condo with excellent results, other areas not so much or at all. If you have good WiFi service you should be OK. Make sure you turn WiFi calling on and update the emergency address, before you leave the country. I tried to do it once while on the island and it wouldn’t allow it. Never looked into it any further. This next trip we’re bringing an older unlocked iPhone and getting a SIM card for it.
    That's what we have. It makes thing easier when we are out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Which carrier did you get the SIM card from?

Quote Originally Posted by robin View Post
    That's what we have. It makes thing easier when we are out.

0 0