This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Aruba Nights Island Guide
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 96

Thread: Will you cancel/postpone?

  1. #51
    Senior Member hatteras's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Posts
    1,601
    Post Thanks / Like
    We were fortunate to go back in June, when there were less than 30 cases. Knowing what I know now, I won't be going back until the cases go down considerably. We were fine when we were on the island, but the flights back made me uncomfortable. Naturally, we were shoulder to shoulder in lines at the airport in Aruba, both coming in and going out. At least there, we knew that most everyone had tested negative in the past 3 days on the flight going in, and everyone had tested negative for the flight home. Many people wore their masks on their chins throughout the airport. My problem was the connecting flight home. We had a 11pm connection in Charlotte and since that was a domestic flight, probably only a handful of people were tested. It was so unbelievably crowded and many people were mask weary, after probably wearing them for many hours. There were lots of masks below chins, and some even walked right past the flight attendants on the plane, and nothing was said to them. If we could get a direct flight I'd consider going back, but right now we both agree that we aren't ready to do that again.
    Last edited by hatteras; 08-19-2021 at 05:07 PM.

    0 0
     

  2. #52
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    11
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone. We are lucky enough to have a direct flight on American from Charlotte direct (both ways). We can get AA credit for a future flight, but feel a little better that we don't have connections. As long as we test negative and can leave the island as planned, we will be good. If we happen to catch anything while returning home, at least we'll be back in the US. I appreciate everyone's advice!
    0 2
     

  3. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    50
    Post Thanks / Like
    We are scheduled for Sept 20 for 10 days, staying at small private resort in Noord. Direct flight down on JB, flying SW home with a Baltimore connection. Not afraid of being in Aruba, just the lengthy time in crowded airports. We are flying on weekdays, thankfully. Both vax'ed, and retired, so if we were to test + coming home, the time in Aruba in quarantine is not our concern. Most scary is the fact that the hospital is full now. We cancelled our annual trip in March, and had to leave early at the very onset of Covid in March 2020. Our trip is still on, but we ARE concerned and watching the #'s. Fingers crossed!
    0 2
     

  4. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Every single spot on island
    Posts
    91
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am scheduled to come to Aruba at the end of October for a short work trip. I have travelled extensively since December, and with the exception of Mexico, have felt safer in Turks and Jamaica (twice) than I do here at home (Texas). I am fully vaxxed, and do wear my mask when out and about. I plan on doing the same while on island. It's been three years since my last visit to the island, so I desperately need to see those white sand beaches
    0 2
     

  5. #55
    Senior Member LisaGrn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    1,541
    Post Thanks / Like
    We all hope you all go! Things can change quickly for the good or (praying not) bad. It is such a personal decision and the most important part of it is to do what feels right for you and your family.
    0 1
     

  6. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sadly, we are pulling the plug on our trip that was scheduled for TOMORROW MORNING :-( Flight is only 8hrs from now, so it's gonna be a long night on hold with the airline (141min hold-time for JB). As many have stated in other threads, this is a very personal decision, and not one taken lightly. We got our green checkmarks and negative covid tests, bags are packed and waiting by the front door. Our friends that were going to join us had to back out yesterday, which was ok, so it turned into a mother/son trip. The fact that my teenager still wanted to go with just me and even said "Mom, we need some bonding time, this trip will be good for us" warmed my heart. But the more we talked, I found out he was nervous about testing positive to come home, but said he still wanted to go "if I wanted to" (mind you we were there end of May and didn't feel that way). That being said, if we got stuck there, he would miss the entire 1st week of school, and that's not a good way to start the year off.

    His concerns got me thinking, and I had a nagging gut-feeling that this is not the right time to go. When your subconscious is talking to you, you should listen. We are both vaccinated, but Delta is no joke and the number of breakthrough cases are on the rise everywhere. I'm in Healthcare (RN) so I was vaccinated 8months ago and I'm due for a booster in asap. Doesn't make me comfortable with the level of protection I still have. And lastly, our flight has a connection in FLL. so the 1st leg is a domestic flight. Not comfortable knowing most people on that flight probably did not need to have a negative covid test to fly. If it was a direct flight, maybe we would feel differently. Also, earlier in the week, the flight was only about 40-50% full and now it looks just about fully booked.

    Sorry for writing a book on here, lol! I'm not venting, just sharing the reasons for our decision. We have been fortunate to visit our home-away-from-home 3x in the last year (Oct 2020, Dec 2020, and May 2021). So until next time Aruba....we miss being there and will return when the time is right.

    Stay safe folks!
    Last edited by mlrhoxie; 08-19-2021 at 09:54 PM.
    0 2
     

  7. #57
    Senior Member cpjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Eagle Beach, Glitz Casino, Manchebo Beach Resort
    Posts
    5,993
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mlrhoxie View Post
    Sadly, we are pulling the plug on our trip that was scheduled for TOMORROW MORNING :-( Flight is only 8hrs from now, so it's gonna be a long night on hold with the airline (141min hold-time for JB). As many have stated in other threads, this is a very personal decision, and not one taken lightly. We got our green checkmarks and negative covid tests, bags are packed and waiting by the front door. Our friends that were going to join us had to back out yesterday, which was ok, so it turned into a mother/son trip. The fact that my teenager still wanted to go with just me and even said "Mom, we need some bonding time, this trip will be good for us" warmed my heart. But the more we talked, I found out he was nervous about testing positive to come home, but said he still wanted to go "if I wanted to" (mind you we were there end of May and didn't feel that way). That being said, if we got stuck there, he would miss the entire 1st week of school, and that's not a good way to start the year off.

    His concerns got me thinking, and I had a nagging gut-feeling that this is not the right time to go. When your subconscious is talking to you, you should listen. We are both vaccinated, but Delta is no joke and the number of breakthrough cases are on the rise everywhere. I'm in Healthcare (RN) so I was vaccinated 8months ago and I'm due for a booster in asap. Doesn't make me comfortable with the level of protection I still have. And lastly, our flight has a connection in FLL. so the 1st leg is a domestic flight. Not comfortable knowing most people on that flight probably did not need to have a negative covid test to fly. If it was a direct flight, maybe we would feel differently. Also, earlier in the week, the flight was only about 40-50% full and now it looks just about fully booked.

    Sorry for writing a book on here, lol! I'm not venting, just sharing the reasons for our decision. We have been fortunate to visit our home-away-from-home 3x in the last year (Oct 2020, Dec 2020, and May 2021). So until next time Aruba....we miss being there and will return when the time is right.

    Stay safe folks!
    Understandable decision..... at least you did have a couple of trips in the past year to remember. Sorry you had to cancel.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the best of men!
    1 1
     

  8. #58
    Aruba since 1979
    Moderator
    Andrea J.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    40,010
    Post Thanks / Like
    You made the right decision for you and your son.
    I hope that things improve so that you can reschedule soon!!
    Thank you for your healthcare service!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mlrhoxie View Post
    Sadly, we are pulling the plug on our trip that was scheduled for TOMORROW MORNING :-( Flight is only 8hrs from now, so it's gonna be a long night on hold with the airline (141min hold-time for JB). As many have stated in other threads, this is a very personal decision, and not one taken lightly. We got our green checkmarks and negative covid tests, bags are packed and waiting by the front door. Our friends that were going to join us had to back out yesterday, which was ok, so it turned into a mother/son trip. The fact that my teenager still wanted to go with just me and even said "Mom, we need some bonding time, this trip will be good for us" warmed my heart. But the more we talked, I found out he was nervous about testing positive to come home, but said he still wanted to go "if I wanted to" (mind you we were there end of May and didn't feel that way). That being said, if we got stuck there, he would miss the entire 1st week of school, and that's not a good way to start the year off.

    His concerns got me thinking, and I had a nagging gut-feeling that this is not the right time to go. When your subconscious is talking to you, you should listen. We are both vaccinated, but Delta is no joke and the number of breakthrough cases are on the rise everywhere. I'm in Healthcare (RN) so I was vaccinated 8months ago and I'm due for a booster in asap. Doesn't make me comfortable with the level of protection I still have. And lastly, our flight has a connection in FLL. so the 1st leg is a domestic flight. Not comfortable knowing most people on that flight probably did not need to have a negative covid test to fly. If it was a direct flight, maybe we would feel differently. Also, earlier in the week, the flight was only about 40-50% full and now it looks just about fully booked.

    Sorry for writing a book on here, lol! I'm not venting, just sharing the reasons for our decision. We have been fortunate to visit our home-away-from-home 3x in the last year (Oct 2020, Dec 2020, and May 2021). So until next time Aruba....we miss being there and will return when the time is right.

    Stay safe folks!
    THINK.. is it Thoughtful? Helpful? Inspirational? Necessary? Kind? SIDTM
    1 0
     

  9. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Andrea, I appreciate the kind words! As my mother-in-law says in different situations...."This too Shall Pass", it's just been one heck of covid-ride and we're all ready to get off! Safe travels and enjoy your trip to Maine with the family!

    fyi...STILL on hold with JB. Funny thing is (and I always try to be optimistic and see the good side of things/glass half-full) we were planning to just stay up and not go to sleep since we needed to leave for the airport by 3am at latest. Takes me time to get moving, so why go to sleep when I have to wake up at 1am. NOW, I am still gonna be up all night on the phone!

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    You made the right decision for you and your son.
    I hope that things improve so that you can reschedule soon!!
    Thank you for your healthcare service!!
    0 0
     

  10. #60
    Senior Member Pegmeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Any beach!!
    Posts
    7,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry you had to cancel. I know how disappointing that is but, Aruba will be ready for you when it’s time to return. I hope you got through to JB. I’ve heard the wait times are horrendous. Our last trip, I just cancelled on line with no issues.

    0 0
     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •