This site uses cookies. Some are essential while others improve your browsing experience and allow us to advertise. For more info visit the privacy policy page.

Allow inessential cookies for:

Your preferences have been updated.

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Make suggestions on things to see for our family of 3

Post Thanks / Like

Question Make suggestions on things to see for our family of 3

Last year we spent 10 glorious days there and experienced A LOT. We were on the go daily, trying to fit everything we possibly could into our vacation.

I'm sure we will repeat a lot of our favorites from last year, but looking for other suggestions.

Here's where we have already been:
    DePalm Island**Definitely want to return
    Lighthouse
    Alto Visto Chapel
    Philips Animal Farm*Might return
    St Nicholas for the art work on the buildings**Definitely want to return if there's new paintings from last Art Fair?
    Ayo Rock Formations
    Bushiribana Gold Mill Ruins
    National Bridge
    Butterfly Farm
    Ostrich Farm

Beaches:
    Arashi
    Boca Catalina***Love the snorkeling here too
    Dunes Beach
    Eagles Beach
    Kite Surfing beach Fishermans Huts
    Malmok
    Baby Beach***Definitely going here again for the day.
    Rogers Beach
    Mangel Halto-I believe this is the place that I found next to no snorkeling and then found that it's outside the little shallow bay area. I think I will contact Aruba Bob for a tour this time around (???? I think that's who it was???)
    Moomba Beach

So what is left that's a must see?

We didn't make it to the Donkey Sanctuary last time. We couldn't find it. So that's on our list. Anyone have an easy to understand way to get there?

Should we take a tour to get to the other side and see the Natural Pool area?

We also never made it to the Birrd Sanctuary. I couldn't figure out how to get in this place? Can someone explain it to me?

I would like to try booking the parasailing again (they were booked up last time)

Is Manchebo Beach worth visiting? What about Divi Beach? Surfside Beach-Splash Park??

Casibari Rock Formations...is this the same as Ayo? Or a different place?

Anything else that you can suggest would be awesome.
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    Make certain that you book Aruba Bob as far out as possible to avoid disappointment. It books solid usually months out.
    Yes bring a camera, but make certain that you have a way to secure it as both of your hands will be occupied holding the motorized thing that propels thru the water.

Donkey sanctuary RTE 1 to left onto RTE 4 and then a right turn. There is a sign on the right before you take that turn. My advice google map it!!!

An UTV or ATV tour is a great way to go for visiting the natural pool. Check out DePalm, ABC and Arias Sunshine Tours.

Bubal Bird Sanctuary ……..pull off the road beside the sanctuary in the area across from the DIvi Phoenix and follow one of the paths in about 150 yds or less. I have never been to the tower.

Splash Park at Surfside……….check with forum moderator Jacki. She and her older kids went . I feel it is for older kids….teens. But she may suggest otherwise.

Manchebo Beach and Divi Beach ……….Divi Beach is Druif Beach and it kind of blends into the Manchebo/Bucuti/ABC/CDM area…. I have always considered this area “almost Eagle Beach” These area Divi Beach and Manchebo are kind of quiet areas, with no motorized watersports and to the best of my knowledge no chair/lounge rentals. (but i may be incorrect on the lounge rentals) Maybe CP or Peg will elaborate on MANCHEBO as they stay there.

Costa Linda area which I always considered as the southern most part of Eagle Beach.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 06-22-2018 at 08:14 PM.
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    At Manchebo if you are going to the Spa for a massage or other treatment you can ask for towel cards and get a palapa. It may be dependent on how busy the resort is.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Make certain that you book Aruba Bob as far out as possible to avoid disappointment. It books solid usually months out.
    Yes bring a camera, but make certain that you have a way to secure it as both of your hands will be occupied holding the motorized thing that propels thru the water.

Donkey sanctuary RTE 1 to left onto RTE 4 and then a right turn. There is a sign on the right before you take that turn. My advice google map it!!!

An UTV or ATV tour is a great way to go for visiting the natural pool. Check out DePalm, ABC and Arias Sunshine Tours.

Bubal Bird Sanctuary ……..pull off the road beside the sanctuary in the area across from the DIvi Phoenix and follow one of the paths in about 150 yds or less. I have never been to the tower.

Splash Park at Surfside……….check with forum moderator Jacki. She and her older kids went . I feel it is for older kids….teens. But she may suggest otherwise.

Manchebo Beach and Divi Beach ……….Divi Beach is Druif Beach and it kind of blends into the Manchebo/Bucuti/ABC/CDM area…. I have always considered this area “almost Eagle Beach” These area Divi Beach and Manchebo are kind of quiet areas, with no motorized watersports and to the best of my knowledge no chair/lounge rentals. (but i may be incorrect on the lounge rentals) Maybe CP or Peg will elaborate on MANCHEBO as they stay there.

Costa Linda area which I always considered as the southern most part of Eagle Beach.
    I emailed Aruba Bob. The website doesn't show available dates and must email the dates you are in Aruba. (Fingers crossed).

I studied google earth and mapped out the Donkey Sanctuary last time and it did no good. I have found that Aruba just doesn't mark roads well and you can pretty much throw out any maps you have because of no signage. LOL Most things we found...we just happened to drive by it and found it. Other places we drove in a complete circle (after about an hour) and discovered we were back where we started at. LOL Thank goodness it's somewhat of a small island. I just thought maybe someone had an easier way to find it by landmarks or something.

Thanks for the list of places to check out to get to the Natural Pool. It's definitely on my "list". The Arias Sunshine Tours...is this affiliated with the place you told me about for a hotel toward Baby Beach?

Bird Sanctuary-when you say pull off the road across from Divi, is there a parking lot? When you say follow one of the paths...is that by foot or vehicle?

Hopefully Jacki will chime in on the Splash Park. I don't think I even realized they had this (last time we came). I'll also see if I can find something online.

So do you feel like Manchebo and Divi is worth a visit?

Thanks so much for your help Andrea. You are always full of so much knowledge and information!
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegmeister View Post
    At Manchebo if you are going to the Spa for a massage or other treatment you can ask for towel cards and get a palapa. It may be dependent on how busy the resort is.
    Is going there for a massage the only way to get to the beach? We are not massage type of people and would never do a massage. Is Manchebo a resort on the beach and that's the only way to get there?
    0 0

Aruba since 1979
    Post Thanks / Like
    you are welcome
    thank you audia we all like to receive an occassional please and thanks

my replies in RED

I studied google earth and mapped out the Donkey Sanctuary last time and it did no good. I have found that Aruba just doesn't mark roads well and you can pretty much throw out any maps you have because of no signage. LOL Most things we found...we just happened to drive by it and found it. Other places we drove in a complete circle (after about an hour) and discovered we were back where we started at. LOL Thank goodness it's somewhat of a small island. I just thought maybe someone had an easier way to find it by landmarks or something. try again google Maps and i think we used the app maps.me on our iPhone

Thanks for the list of places to check out to get to the Natural Pool. It's definitely on my "list". The Arias Sunshine Tours...is this affiliated with the place you told me about for a hotel toward Baby Beach? Yes

Bird Sanctuary-when you say pull off the road across from Divi, is there a parking lot? When you say follow one of the paths...is that by foot or vehicl By foot. Just park alongside the road (Juraqusin Blvd) it is either parallel parking or diagonal parking. It is nothing fancy and it is maybe not even marked.

Hopefully Jacki will chime in on the Splash Park. I don't think I even realized they had this (last time we came). I'll also see if I can find something online.The splash park has been in place now for about 18 mos.

So do you feel like Manchebo and Divi is worth a visit? If I were staying at Divi or Manchebo/ABC/CDM or Bucuti I would be on the beach there. If not, I would not. There are 0 amenities on the beach there for folks that are not staying at any of those resorts. As I said before, I do not think at that area they even rent lounges. At the ABC and CDM section it is quit narrow and rocky. Maybe Pegmeister or CP will give you a different opinion as they stay there often. OR if you did hang out on the beach in that area, it would give you great opportunity to check out the 3 timeshare resorts there that you may like to stay at during another trip. The Costa Linda is my favorite timeshare on the island.

Quote Originally Posted by AudiaS4 View Post
    I emailed Aruba Bob. The website doesn't show available dates and must email the dates you are in Aruba. (Fingers crossed).

I studied google earth and mapped out the Donkey Sanctuary last time and it did no good. I have found that Aruba just doesn't mark roads well and you can pretty much throw out any maps you have because of no signage. LOL Most things we found...we just happened to drive by it and found it. Other places we drove in a complete circle (after about an hour) and discovered we were back where we started at. LOL Thank goodness it's somewhat of a small island. I just thought maybe someone had an easier way to find it by landmarks or something.

Thanks for the list of places to check out to get to the Natural Pool. It's definitely on my "list". The Arias Sunshine Tours...is this affiliated with the place you told me about for a hotel toward Baby Beach?

Bird Sanctuary-when you say pull off the road across from Divi, is there a parking lot? When you say follow one of the paths...is that by foot or vehicle?

Hopefully Jacki will chime in on the Splash Park. I don't think I even realized they had this (last time we came). I'll also see if I can find something online.

So do you feel like Manchebo and Divi is worth a visit?

Thanks so much for your help Andrea. You are always full of so much knowledge and information!
    0 0

Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Post Thanks / Like
    Casibari Rock Formations...is this the same as Ayo? Or a different place?
    Those are two different places/rock formations. They are only a short car drive apart.

Casibari is the more famous one as you can climb on top of it and have a great view of the island.

Ayo is the one who has the Indian drawings on the wall.

I have been to both and enjoyed it a lot. Here are some links for additional info and photos/videos:

http://www.welcomearuba.com/casibari...ormations.html

https://wheninaruba.com/blog/landscapes/
    0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    Audia, you and your family will enjoy the Donkey Sanctuary a lot! It's a bit difficult to find. But they provide great directions on their official website, there is a map as well:

Directions

Take Route 4a from the hotels and follow this road for 14 km, pass all the circles/roundabouts until you see a sign for the French Men’s Pass. Make a left turn onto the French Men’s Pass, then 1st left, 2nd right. On that dirt road you will find the Donkey Sanctuary after about 200 meters.
    If you have a GPS device, navigate to these coordinates: N 12°48.974’ W 069°96.642’ This will bring you to the entrance of the Donkey Sanctuary.
    Opening hours:
    • Every day open 9 am - 4 pm.
    • Closed only on Januari 1st.

http://main.arubandonkey.org/portal/

And here is their Facebook site. Lots of smiling faces!

https://www.facebook.com/donkey.sanctuary.aruba/
    0 0

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kim. Glad to see you are headed back to Aruba. If you haven't checked out Trikes, take a look. It's a fun way to spend a morning or afternoon. It doesn't go to all of the places you want to go, but it goes to Alto Vista chapel, the lighthouse, Casibarri rock formations, stops briefly at Surfside Beach, and drives through Eagle Beach, Malmok, and some of Palm Beach. They are three seaters, so there's room for you and Sakari to ride in the back. They have automatic and a few stick shifts.

Splash Park Aruba is just some inflatables at Surfside Beach. It's similar to the ones that your family were jumping on in one of your cruise reviews.
    Last edited by hatteras; 06-23-2018 at 03:28 PM.

0 0

Post Thanks / Like
    The "Bubali Bird Sanctuary" has a website as well with a detailed description how to get there as well as photos:

Bubali Bird Sanctuary

One of our favorite birding areas, and one of the easiest to find.

Description: A very large wetland originally supplied with treated water from the island's sewage treatment facility. A canal now connects the area to the sea.
    How to Get There: To reach Bubali from Orenjestad, follow L.G. Smith Boulevard west, then curving north for 2.3 miles until you reach an intersection. Turn left (west) towards the beach and follow this unnamed road for 0.3 mile where you will see the entrance to a dirt road on your right about 20 yards from the intersection with J. E. Irausquin Boulevard. This will take you into the thorn-scrub habitat bordering on the mangroves along the west side of Bubali. You can park here to explore the area on foot.

To reach the tower on the north side of Bubali, take J. E. Irausquin Boulevard heading north and travel 1 mile to the rather busy intersection near the Wyndham Beach Resort. Turn right (east) heading towards the big, red windmill and watch for the entrance to a small dirt road on your right within 200 yards. This is the road to the observation tower, which itself should be visible a few hundred yards farther along.

Birding Bubali: On the north side of the site, across from the big, red Dutch Windmill (a local landmark) is an observation tower that affords excellent views of this expansive wetland. From there you can see Pied-billed Grebe, Least Grebe, Neotropic Cormorant, Caribbean Coot, Common Moorhen, Purple Gallinule, White-cheeked Pintail, Blue-winged Teal, Groove-billed Ani, various herons and egrets.

More info at link:
    http://www.arubabirds.com/aboutBirds...dSanctuary.htm

And their FB site with lovely photos and videos:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bubal...94064590630741
    0 0